Home Forums Chassis & Handling How to add large amount of weight to kart

This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Walt Gifford 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Omar Calixtro
    Participant

I am going to be racing at my track in the Yamaha Senior Y pipe class. The minimum weight is 345lbs. Together me and my kart weigh 300lbs. I am 40lbs under and there is  no lighter class and I weigh 135lbs, How can I add a large amount of weight?

tony zambos
    Participant

Cheeseburger! Cheeseburger! Cheeseburger!
    When that doesn’t work, bolt lead weights to the seat of the kart. You can buy them from kart shops. They’re available from 2 to 8 pounds. If you know of a local plumbing supply near you, they should have 5 pound lead bricks. You’ll have to drill them for a 5/8’s bolt and either double nut them or drill the bolt for a cotter key. On the 8 lb weights, you’ll probably be required to use two bolts. Most track I know of require the weights to be painted white.
    You can move the weights up or down the seat for to help in chassis tuning.

LAD Specialties / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Omar Calixtro
    Participant

Cheeseburger! Cheeseburger! Cheeseburger! When that doesn’t work, bolt lead weights to the seat of the kart. You can buy them from kart shops. They’re available from 2 to 8 pounds. If you know of a local plumbing supply near you, they should have 5 pound lead bricks. You’ll have to drill them for a 5/8’s bolt and either double nut them or drill the bolt for a cotter key. On the 8 lb weights, you’ll probably be required to use two bolts. Most track I know of require the weights to be painted white. You can move the weights up or down the seat for to help in chassis tuning.

I found some lead bricks that go up to 26lbs it is 2″ x 4″ x 8″ is there anyway something that large can be illegal?

Omar Calixtro
    Participant

Also can weight lifting weights be used just as long as I paint them white and make a new hole that is 5/8 of an inch?

Steen Carstensen
    Participant

I have used weights from a dive shop, they are covered in a yellow plastic and come in many sizes.

tony zambos
    Participant

Make sure you check with the organization that you’ll be racing with on the size of the weights that can be used and how they must be attached.
    Another option to bolting the weights to the seat is weld on tabs such as this, https://cometkartsales.com/Weld-On-Lead-Weight-Tab-Steel.html. There uses to be a perch that was bolted to the chassis frame that you could stack weight on. But couldn’t one this morning.

LAD Specialties / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Brock Weiss
    Participant

Also it is better to add some small weights on the kart rather than large heavy ones so you don’t stress the seat. Try to spread them out of you can.

We have weight in the front of the kart, on the seat, and then on the frame so the kart is balanced all around rather than having 40lbs attached do just the seat and putting all the stress on the seat

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by  Brock Weiss.

Drew Grenzner
    Participant

I’m about the same weight as you. Is it possible to use a weight in between the seat and the frame? Like a spacer?

Omar Calixtro
    Participant

I’m about the same weight as you. Is it possible to use a weight in between the seat and the frame? Like a spacer?

What do you mean?

TJ Koyen
    Participant

No need to use weight as a spacer between the seat/chassis.

I’ve had to add 50lbs+ my whole life.

Hang six 5 pound weights on the back of the seat and one 5 pound weight on each side of the seat. Make sure you do this on the scale though to make sure your weight distribution is correct. That’s the most important thing when adding weight to the kart.

Shoot for around 42% front weight.

Team Driver - Innovative Performance/Tony Kart // Owner - Oktane Visual Custom Helmet Paint and Graphic Design

Larry Hayashigawa
    Participant

I run Master so 50# is normal for me.  I put 5# each under the front wings of the seat and a 10# curved diver’s weight in the middle of front of seat.  I put a 5# on each side and the rest I place on the back of the seat.  When I’m feeling anal, I put a 3/4″ washer between the seat and the weight, which keeps the contact to the seat down to a minimum.  My thinking is that clamping the entire surface of the weight to the seat will stiffen it, especially with so many weights.

I’ve also removed two 5# from the rear of the seat and placed them on the left and right rear corners of the belly pan.  (You do need to watch the F/R balance)  This might be worth it because it lowers the polar moment of inertia and improves the responsive of the kart during turn in.

Tim Koyen
    Participant

Someone above mentioned 5/8″ bolts.  Don’t use 5/8″.  I think they meant 5/16″ or 8mm.  More smaller weights seems to allow the seat to flex more.

KartLift Kart Stands
    DeepSeat Kart Seats
    877-777-8020
    ------------------
    Don't bother PMing me, it doesn't work. Email is best: tim@kartlift.com.

Omar Calixtro
    Participant

Someone above mentioned 5/8″ bolts. Don’t use 5/8″. I think they meant 5/16″ or 8mm. More smaller weights seems to allow the seat to flex more.

Alright thanks

Omar Calixtro
    Participant

Thanks everyone for helping me out. I emailed my tech director and weight lifting weights are allowed. I also have ordered the weights and will be adding them soon.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by  Omar Calixtro.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

I’ve used 2-1/2 Lb. weight lifting weights painted white with a bushing to make the hole 3/8″ and my take is that they take up allot of space and look like crap. If you make bushing for these kind of weights make sure you put a heavy washer that covers the original hole or the bushing could pop out from vibration. Don’t put more than 5 Lbs. on a 5/16ths bolt. If you mount more than 5 Lbs. on one bolt go up to a 3/8″ bolt.

MM

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication