Home Forums Rotax Max How many hours does the conrod in a FR125 last?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Curtis Cooksey 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

David Flori
    Participant

Doing some work on an engine, and it may be the correct time to look at other internals.

Any way to determine when the conrod is to be replaced strictly by the manuals specifications, or is it an hours of operation or gallons of fuel ran through factor?

Are people generally referring to just the bearing when people say to replace or to “do the bottom end”?

On a properly running engine, is the conrod that measures in specification a replacement part after a certain amount of hours, or is it typical practice to just check that the conrod is within spec, and replace bearings when appropriate?

Curtis Cooksey
    Participant

The part that fails is the bottom end bearing. They will usually last over 50 hours and I have seen them last more than 100. I have also seen them not last more than 10 hours. You can inspect it and measure the tolerances but sometimes there are no signs as to when it will fail. It is a pretty good idea to replace it after 50 hours.

David Flori
    Participant

So can just the bottom bearing be replaced then?

Curtis Cooksey
    Participant

There is a rod kit that includes the bottom end bearing. You probably want to have it done by someone with the right tools and the know how to do it right.

David Flori
    Participant

There is a rod kit that includes the bottom end bearing. You probably want to have it done by someone with the right tools and the know how to do it right.

Thanks Curtis, so is that a definitive no on each of the points I have asked?

I understand they have the rod kit, but I am looking for clarification on the questions asked if possible.

Curtis Cooksey
    Participant

Sorry, David. I didn’t mean to be so vague. The bottom end needle bearing by itself is not available from Rotax. They probably recommend changing the rod when you change the bottom end bearing. I am sure if you tried hard enough you could get the bottom end bearing. I am pretty sure Rotax doesn’t manufacture the bearing themselves.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.