Home Forums Road Racing Horstman Axle Clutch

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Kelly Read 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Mike Peters
    Participant

Rumor has it a new batch of Horstman axle clutches are being made by Horstman

lynn haddock
    Participant

Absolutely TRUE — not a rumor !!  About two month’s ago I called my old friend Gary Gebhart at Horstman and got him a little stirred up on the idea of building a totally new axle clutch. The initial reception to the idea was a little chilly but after a couple more phone calls, I finally got his ear and now it is well on the way to becoming a reality. My main selling point was to develop a clutch that could serve all of the market needs, from the laydown road race kart with a 1.25″ axle all the way to a sit-up sprinter fitted with a 50mm axle. This of course required an entirely new design because of the much larger axle. Two prototypes are under-way and Daytona is the target to have these on display as well as on the track for the initial testing. The clutch will be an all new 3 disc design with levers designed to accept a wide range of weight combinations. The plan is to cover gear ratio’s in the range of 3.80 up thru about 6.5 to 1. At this time I am not sure of an estimated delivery date for the first production run but I do know there is already a waiting list underway.

Mike Peters
    Participant

Thanks Lynn.

I spoke with Scott & Gary yesterday & they confirmed everything you said here. Scott & I raced  GPX200 karts with the SCK crowd 30 years ago.  Ran my first kart race in a very long time at the WKA Grand Nationals at Atlanta Motorsports Park. Strapped an IAME X30 to a CKI laydown Chassis & what a ride that was. I had just finished breaking the motor in & was getting used to the handling of the package when the clutch let go. Millions of love bugs & mosquitos lost there lives in the column of smoke behind me. The yellow jackets where unimpressed.

On a side note: It would be nice if they could increase the gear ratio range down to say 3.2 for the Daytona crowd. The X30 runs around 3.4 & the B Stock crowd are down in the 3.2 range.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Mike Peters.

Greg Wright
    Participant

Great news. Now if we could get Tom Fehring to jump in as well.

Greg Wright
    Rapid Racing Inc.

"When in doubt Gas it, It won't help but it ends the suspense."

Mike Peters
    Participant

The last time I spoke to Tom he wasn’t interested unless someone or a group placed an order for at least 100 clutches.

Greg Wright
    Participant

I thought he told me 50 clutches but either way it’s pretty much the same thing.

The Horstman news surprised me in a good way.

Greg Wright
    Rapid Racing Inc.

"When in doubt Gas it, It won't help but it ends the suspense."

Linda Baldus
    Participant

Why can’t we just support the company that is willing to do it instead of worrying about giving them extra competition? Horstman had a great product before and the only thing SMC did was make it so neither could profit from the enterprise!

Keep on kartin'. llb
    Raymore, MO
    lindabaldus@hotmail.com

Ric mcDade
    Participant

Linda- I see both sides of the fence, both of you friends, but I will say up front, I’ll spend my money with the guys who have continued to keep parts available, even though without my friction disk/floater sales, I might become homeless. 🙂

Mike Peters
    Participant

Ok now a rumor is floating around that the intro of the new batch of Horstman clutches has been canceled.

Mike Peters
    Participant

Just got off the phone with Gary & Scott at Horstman. The axle clutch is still very much a go. It may not be available to the sprint sit up road race crowd due to stall speed rules but it will be available in for the Laydown crowd for 1 1/4″  axles.

Clutches should be available mid January 2017. Target price is in the $900 range.

Gary told me the staff at Horstman would be more than happy to discuss the project with anyone. Just give them a call

Kelly Read
    Participant

Being one involved with Lynn and Gary on this project from when Lynn first contacted me for input, let me clarify something. It’s mainly the TAG motors low stall speed their trying to figure out not the other motors. As for 4-cycles and being experienced with 4 cycles, I can’t see running ANY axle clutch on a 4-cycle in my mind (Just saying). As I told both of them, with the TAG motors having a 6,000 (SR), 7,000 (JR) RPM maximum engagement by the rules, this clutch would need to fit these applications before it was allowed in the TAG classes (for sure in KART). NO, I am not in favor of changing the clutch engagement rule mainly due to that the current MFG’s of the engine clutches are set up that way now. Gary said that this will take some work but feels they can figure it out. This I don’t doubt as these guys have done a SUPER job in the past with both axle & engine clutches. Why not open the market??

This clutch will be wide (4 1/2″) due to the size of bearings needed to make a clutch to fit from 1 1/4″ – 50mm vs the old one that went from 1″ – 30mm. I don’t see a issue here as for the karts I seen, there is room between the bearing hanger and wheel for it unless you run your wheel in real tight. You can bet for sure that when this does come available, it will be first class and work!!!

I know that I for one am very interested in seeing this come out especially now that Lindsay is going to TAG (sit-up). From experience when she drove for some people along with when Brad had his Tag, I spent enough money on engine clutches to keep under the MAX RPM per the rules to pay for more than one of these.  Having the ability to make an adjustment on the kart vs installing a new friction hub and possibly even a new drum to be legal, sure will make it more feasible in the long run. I don’t know how many times I have been on the starting line and heard karts leave that were over the MAX stall speed!!! With this, WE have no excuses why we are over the max engagement. I believe (HOPE) that when they do figure out how to get the low engagement needed for a TAG motor, ALL organizations will allow a axle clutch in their TAG classes. Currently, KART allows axle clutches in all classes but 4-cycle & TAG that could possibly run one. I’m hoping this changes after this new clutch comes out and is proven to work with the current rules.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Kelly Read.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication