Home Forums Tech Talk HELP – uneven brake pad wear – Shims??

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Walt Gifford 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Eric Alexander
    Participant

I’m running a pair of CRG Kalifornia karts with the 2000-Up braking system.  Both karts are wearing the pads unevenly – all four pads per kart (two pads per caliper  – two calipers per rotor).  The tops of the pads are worn completely down while the bottoms of the pads are worn maybe 50% or less.

Is this normal?  This also leads to the question of shims: I ‘ve never used them, so what is their main purpose?  Any advice and/or input on the subject is appreciated.

tony zambos
    Participant

Eric,

No expert here on CRG brakes, but the pads should have worn fairly evenly from top to bottom. It seems that the lower pistons in both calipers are not functioning correctly.  Suggest that you take one apart for inspection.  After you remove the caliper from the chassis, but before removing the brake line, slowly pump the pistons out about 3/8 of an inch.  That will make it easier to get the pistons out later.  Check for worn or hard seals, and for damage to the pistons and their cylander walls.  Even if all looks well, new pistons and seals wouldn’t be a bad idea.  And for sure, replace all of the brake fluid.  If not comfortable doing this, have your kart shop make the repairs.

P.S. Replace the pads

Eric Alexander
    Participant

Thanks Tony.  I spoke with Dave Davis at CRG America and he said the 2000-up caliper will wear the pads a bit uneven.  The 2000-up system has dual calipers on the rotor, but only a single piston per pad – per caliper, so I don’t think its the pistons.  I’m going to mic the rotor next time I’m at the garage to see if possible the rotor has worn unevenly and may be contributing.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

They have special brake grease you can get at most auto parts stores. If you take it apart to clean it use the grease and it will help.

Gif

Eric Alexander
    Participant

So Walt, should the grease be applied between the piston and the back of the pad?

Josh Buttafoco
    Participant

Just flip the pads between practice days, those calipers wear unevenly. Same with VEN04

Jim White
    Participant

My Anderson superkart does the same thing. I do as above, clean the calipers and flip the pads after each race day.

Greg Lindahl
    Participant

Ditto.

Common as dirt in many brake systems.  Sometimes leading and sometimes trailing sides. Sometimes from heat, sometimes from pressure.  Many brake caliper manufacturers vary the pressure accross the pad with multiple/different cylinder diameters.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

So Walt, should the grease be applied between the piston and the back of the pad?

No, you coat the inside of the cylinders with a thin film so the seals side easier.

Gif

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.