Home Forums General Karting Discussion help for a newbie – hotlapping

This topic contains 26 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  michael smith 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author

michael smith
    Participant

Hi, Im looking for a consistent setup just to hotlap. to be better than myself. I found a facility by me that allows 24 hour access and my hope is to just go there when no one else is there and just try to keep besting my self. I want to turn a lot of laps

My goal is consistence- even if its consistently slow.

Can someone recommend an affordable setup to me?
    Im also 6-5./ is an extended porch a must?

Im looking for a kart as well if anyone is selling.(preferrably extended porch)

thanks all

David Cole
    Keymaster

Hi Michael, Welcome to the sport. You are in a great area for karting. You have the North Texas Karters facility in Denton and the Dallas Karting Complex in Caddo Mills. The staff at DKC is equipped to help you get going in the sport.

Have you done rental karts yet?

tony zambos
    Participant

Michael,
    A Mychron4 or 4t with a Data Key plus an IR beacon to record and analyze lap times. A big step up would be an M4 with GPS. This would give you the ability to plot and compare each lap graphically. Also a Go-Pro camera might be helpful. Will this affordable? Only you know how big your wallet is. But no matter what, you’ll need a Mychron and you can read the lap times and temperatures off of the display. Keep an eye on the Classified section on the forum for a deal.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

I don’t understand do you have a kart you want set up suggestions on or, do you want suggestions on which type of kart to buy?

If you have a large track with big turns and a slow kart it will be easier to be consistent than a short track with allot of turns and a powerful kart.

Gif

michael smith
    Participant

thanks for the replies guys.

@David. i did the rental at dkc and was hooked. i drag race but this is a whole new level of fun. i plan to do ntk because the price is a little cheaper and it is much closer to me.

@Tony, thanks very much for that information. that  is exactly what i need. i looked up the gps unit and its pretty amazing eg telling you speed through a turn

@Walt- i was looking for suggestions on a kart to buy. though, i just bought a “project roller”  like 30 minutes ago.and will start building it up. it has no engine. I was going to just put a chonda in it. or would you recommend a different type of engine to start with?

about the roller i picked up. all i know is it says has a tag that says corsa, the tubes are 32mm, and the axle is 50mm.

im very excited to get started.thanks all.

David Cole
    Keymaster

Hi Michael,

Start out with the Chonda to begin with. This will allow you to focus more on being consistent and smooth behind the wheel. Then when you feel like you want to go faster, look at other options, or just enjoy the sport with the Chonda. I believe they have a large following there at NTK.

russ Jolly
    Participant

for the kart you bought, your better suited for TAG, HPV (think its called something diff now)

I personally wouldnt go chonda i would do LO206 but the 50 mm axel might not give you the flex you will need. but thats my opinion. I know David has been karting a lot longer then me.

Also I you dont want to spend a gazillion on mychron, and you have andriod phone, check out an app called track master. pretty powerfull data loger for a fraction of the cost.

When i get a new kart i set everything to neutral until i get consistent laps, then one or two adjust for 5 laps and see if the times got better.

GLuck!~

michael smith
    Participant

Thanks David

Let me ask a follow up. Do you recommend i start with a stock stock Chonda or will I be happier buying a prepped one.ie better cam, valve springs etc

Russ, thanks for the info. A bunch. I checked out track master and have downloaded racechrono which is a free version that does almost the same thing.

I’m a big Guy.300 in full dress. Does that change your view on the engine choice or axle size?

David Cole
    Keymaster

I would recommend an engine that fits their rule set. Head out there this weekend to watch and ask questions about getting started. That’s the best way to learn.

Britt Robinson
    Participant

“I’m a big Guy.300 in full dress. Does that change your view on the engine choice or axle size?”

I’m not sure a Chonda OR an LO206 would be good for you based on your body weight. In my opinion, a two stroke, like the PRD Fireball, might be better for you. I think you would be quickly frustrated with the lower performance of those 4 cycle engines, even when you are just running laps for fun.

Jim Derrig
    Participant

Agree you are on the large side (okay, WAY on the large side) for kart racing.  All those little guys you pushed around on the football field in high school?  This sport is their revenge.  If you want to stay 4-stroke, look at the Briggs World Formula.  Much stronger than a chronda or L206.  Pricier too, I’m afraid, but as a drag racer I’m sure you are familiar with the proportionate relationship between $ and horsepower.

michael smith
    Participant

“I’m a big Guy.300 in full dress. Does that change your view on the engine choice or axle size?”

I’m not sure a Chonda OR an LO206 would be good for you based on your body weight. In my opinion, a two stroke, like the PRD Fireball, might be better for you. I think you would be quickly frustrated with the lower performance of those 4 cycle engines, even when you are just running laps for fun.

Im starting to explore other options now, including the two stroke. thanks for the advice man.

Agree you are on the large side (okay, WAY on the large side) for kart racing. All those little guys you pushed around on the football field in high school? This sport is their revenge. If you want to stay 4-stroke, look at the Briggs World Formula. Much stronger than a chronda or L206. Pricier too, I’m afraid, but as a drag racer I’m sure you are familiar with the proportionate relationship between $ and horsepower.

lol. funny.
    thankfully I dont plan to race anyone anytime soon. . in Drag racing I am what you call a career “test-n-tuner” just trying to beat my best time. I want to do that with Karts. I also heard if you race enough you may lose some weight?

you are right about drag racing. going faster takes “cubic dollars” and winning is “just a matter of money”
    speaking about drag racing. the most conntentious engine right now has got to be the ls1. Those who love it, LOVE it, and those who hate it, REALLY HATE it. it affords young people without too much money the ability to buy a cheap junkyard engine for dirt cheap, bolt a turbo on, and go ridiculously quick for a fraction of the investment of a traditional naturally aspirated drag car?

Is there an equivalent in the Kart World? ie, an engine that just offers an insanely high power-to-cost ratio?

Gary Smith
    Participant

Michael, I’ve been karting for 13 years, and what I try to do is beat my best at that particular track in that configuration each time I go to that track.  Sometimes it might be years before you best your time. Recently I best my time at this one track by 1/2 of a second, a time that stood for 3 years prior.

Since you are a big guy, I really don’t know what motor package would be best, you did however pick out the right frame size.  Have you driven anyone else kart? That might help you decide on the motor package.

Welcome to the sport of kart racing, it never gets dull, always looking for that extra that makes you faster.

Gary

#55 Honda CR80

Brian Degulis
    Participant

Orlando Kart Center in Orlando FL started a class using a stock Honda GX 390.  For your size this would be a very good option. More power than a Chonda or World Formula in a bone stock industrial engine. If your interested then contact them and see if the sell the conersion parts or complete engine.

Brian

michael smith
    Participant

Michael, I’ve been karting for 13 years, and what I try to do is beat my best at that particular track in that configuration each time I go to that track. Sometimes it might be years before you best your time. Recently I best my time at this one track by 1/2 of a second, a time that stood for 3 years prior.

Since you are a big guy, I really don’t know what motor package would be best, you did however pick out the right frame size. Have you driven anyone else kart? That might help you decide on the motor package.

Welcome to the sport of kart racing, it never gets dull, always looking for that extra that makes you faster.

Gary

#55 Honda CR80

Good morning, thanks for the reply. I drove an arrive and drive kart at DKC. it probably has 10 or fewer hp. It took forever to get going but it was amazing fun in the corners.

I wish I had found Karting years ago.

Orlando Kart Center in Orlando FL started a class using a stock Honda GX 390. For your size this would be a very good option. More power than a Chonda or World Formula in a bone stock industrial engine. If your interested then contact them and see if the sell the conersion parts or complete engine.

Brian

thanks for the information brian. I will certainly check it out. although I dont know how much a powerful chassis will effect my need to change tires more frequently.
    or let me ask this. in a more powerful engine combination, do they sell tires that can go a lot of laps, like 100, without effecting the lap times?

michael smith
    Participant

let me ask one more question – I have a lot of methanol and would like to know – how difficult/costly is it to convert a carb over to methanol. it is a matter of just changing the carb?

what kind of % power gains can one expect?

thanks

Walt Gifford
    Participant

You get advantage from alky by raising the compression and advancing the ignition timing.

Gif

Jim Derrig
    Participant

Ditto the GX390 option.  Believe is it cheaper than a world formula but more than an L206.  Should be bulletproof.

Regarding tires, it depends on the set up and how fast you are going.  Plus, at your weight you are putting a load on them.  i’ve seen very good long-term results from MG reds and would definitely give them a shot.  Just watch out for the first lap, because they are super slippery until the release agent wears off.

michael smith
    Participant

hi guys,

today has been a whirlwind day for me in my search for engines. THANKS ALL VERY MUCH for all your input.

I looked into the gx390, which can be bought for about $900 at northern tool. then I found discussion about the clone, which is 420cc, and can be bought for about $350 and delivers 13hp. NICE. then I found videos on it and saw the form factor. it takes up a LOT of Space. plus, it and the gx390 weigh over 70lbs !!!! OUCH.

then I was somehow led to the kt100. ok, it sounds GOOD. I love the sound of the 2 stroke, compared to the 4 cycle. its like music. then I find that it weighs in at only 21 lbs. It delivers 15hp stock, and the msrp is only $699?

am I missing something ? My undecated self is saying the yamaha kt100 is what I need, the LS1 of the karting world?

Can you all chime in on why this would not be a good choice? Im sure Im missing something

here is an article on the engine

http://ekartingnews.com/2014/05/28/why-the-yamaha-kt100-classes-remain-not-only-relevant-but-growing/

Jim Derrig
    Participant

Two words:  No torque.

More words:  Must be blueprinted because stock production tolerance are absurdly poor, so you have to add about $500 to the price.  Still, there’s a ton of them out there and you might want to try it as used ones can be found cheap.  I’m 190lbs and find them fun but not very quick off the line.  You might be too much.  We have a guy who runs a KT100 in our TaG class, at a 320lb total weight versus our 390.  It ain’t even close.

Another possibility:  A complete, rebuilt 28hp Leopard system for $1000.  http://www.italianmotorsusa.com/collections/used-items/products/used-leopard-engine-kits

I believe that’s a turn-key package.  All you need is an axle sprocket.  Rebuild cycle is roughly 20 hours, but that is a LOT of hot lapping.  I’ve seen some big guys (like 250-260) turn decent laps in them.

michael smith
    Participant

Happy Father’s Day to the fathers!

i went to the track yesterday and watched the classes run. then i went into the pits and talked to a few of them. i was very happy to see that most of the racers were happy to help and give information.

after discussing with the drivers, i have decided that the chonda will be the best engine for me to start with for a few reasons.

low cost, pump gas, lower maintenance, easier on tires, simple, etc

ill be ordering tomorrow .

thanks all for all the help and i look forward to being an active part of this forum.

Mike Blanco
    Participant

I don’t mean to hijack this post, but I am completely new to here and would like to post a topic, but can not seem to figure out how to make a new thread.  Can someone help me out?

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Forums tab, drop down menu choose forums, click on general discussion then scroll all the way down to find to box to enter title and text, submit.

Gif

michael smith
    Participant

in  case there are other newbies like me trying to do this on a budget-

i compared racechrono using my phone’s internal gps vs the transponder at the track.

my phone has a 1hz gps refresh rate

three sessions

track vs ( racechrono)

84.008 ..(83.98)

81.117.. (.81.35)

80.310..(80.24)

not bad for a free product, and adding an external 5hz gps sensor via bluetooth makes it way more accurate.

Boyd Atherton
    Participant

Michael welcome to the karting world and NTK.  I’m a club member at NTK.  Chonda or Box Stock Animal is a great place to start.  Seems a lot of people are in the process of making the jump over to the Animal class from Chonda.  Box Stock Animal for us is basically a LO206 with the blue coil and a different pipe.  It’s still the sealed motor and you can run LO206 at another track by switching back to the green coil and spec pipe.

We’re having a Vintage Kart Exhibition and Swap meet at the track tomorrow from 10-3.  It’s free and there will also be open practice.

I have a couple of Chonda motors that I’ll be looking to sell at the swap if you’re interested.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.