Home Forums General Karting Discussion Helmet Radio

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Howie Idelson 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Anyone have any suggestions on helmet radios? I’ve been looking at Raceceivor but they seem to have many different types. For instance, what is the difference between the “Fusion Plus Semi-Pro Package” and the “Fusion Plus Youth Semi-Pro Driver Package”? Both are the same price.

All I want to do is put a headset in my boys’ helmets and communicate 1-way with them via a walkie-talkie. Would appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

Troy V Smith
    Participant

The first thing that comes to my mind Dimitri – is “Don’t do it”.  I only say that due to the fact I have one in my own helmet and it is rare, very rare, that it has ever helped me in any way.  Rarely does it even get used anymore.  Yes, it has come in handy a time or two, but in most cases, last thing I want when focused on driving (which your boys should be) is someone talking in my ear.

Not sure how old your boys are, but communications in a helmet definitely have a tendency to distract a driver, particularly the younger ones.  I would think a one on one “pit talk” after on track sessions would be of much better benefit to you and your boys than a radio will ever be.

Just my two cents…

But hey, if you want to give it a try – go cheap!  You can get a system which uses the simple two way handheld radios, much like the ones they use on motocycles.  Look at “Rugged Radios” dot com.

Greg Wright
    Participant

Many organizations do not allow the use of helmet radios other than in roadracing.
    The raceceiver is intended for use by the race director to warn about yellow flags, restart order etc.

Chris Livengood
    Participant

In a full size car where you often go well out of site of your crew a radio is a great aid. In a kart it is unnecessary.

Mike Lyda
    Participant

I used a uClear bluetooth set for my son at gopro motorplex for a while during practice sessions not for “coaching”, but more for safety. He was new to 2 stroke outdoor racing so it was good to be able to talk to him when he spun, threw a chain, etc. There are spots on that track where you can’t see karts from the pits and he was able to tell me that there was a kart parked on the track, when he spun off track out of view, etc.

We also found that the engine and wind noise made it nearly impossible to communicate when he was at speed..

Thanks guys for the suggestions. My boys are 10 and they started karting late last year but we only average 1-2 weekends a month of running. I certainly understand the part about distracting them while driving. It’s just that when we do the “pit talk” they understand the feedback I give them, but they often forget it when back on the track. I’ve only used radios once with them a few months ago (their instructor had one) and it seemed to work in terms of telling them precisely when to turn in or jump on the gas out of a corner.

But I hear you. If I get one, I will go cheap as I don’t see it as a long term solution. I expect them to learn their lines and technique eventually and thus not rely on a radio going forward.

Thanks again for the input.

Todd Renaud
    Participant

Dimitri, I come from the car racing world where radios are everywhere and helpful given the size of the track, the distance from the track of the crew and spotting.

I certainly agree that radios can be distracting and not as useful as one might think because you can’t use them at most kart races.

However, what I like about them is that they can provide immediate feedback for the driver and are great as a coaching tool. When I can tell my driver at the point on the track I need to coach that he needs to come wider, go in deeper and then tell him when he’s out of the corner whether it was good or not – I think its worth it. To me it accelerates the learning and also reduced “wasted” laps on the track.

The trick though is that if you use it too much – they can become dependent on it. So its a balance. Each kid is different and you have to judge for each of them individually in my opinion.

Oh, I also only have a radio that my driver can listen but can’t talk back (that’s good for more than one reason LOL).

Clark Gaynor Sr.
    Participant

Radios are legal in WKA “Road Racing”, and we have used them for many years.  Instant feedback to the driver, and questions from driver to pit.  Used mainly for splits to following karts, how many karts are running in your karts group (sometimes you can’t tell), etc.

We were very pleased with our Racing Electronics/Motorola units.  A little pricey at $1900!

BUT, just this year we stopped using them.  It’s just one more thing you DON’T have to mess with.

Clark Sr.

Dan Rudd
    Participant

Years back when we first started I also was looking for something to help my son learn his line and similar things. I picked up an inexpensive FRS radio and earbud. I think they can be found at any kmart, walmart, etc for cheap. I doubt if you’ll spend $100 for 2 radios and the driver earbud.

I was warned by everyone that they were not legal to use during a race but we only intended to use for practice so I wasn’t concerned.

The FRS radios worked great, accomplished what I wanted and didn’t cost me much at all.

Dan

Howie Idelson
    Participant
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.