Home Forums General Karting Discussion Helicopter tape or other tape to protect bodywork/decals?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Rod Hawkins 2 days, 22 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Rod Hawkins
    Participant

I have a new chassis coming and was wondering what everyone uses to protect their Kart bodywork decals? I have used the thick Gorilla tape in the past but that stuff has serrated edges which kind of stinks. Have also used ICS racers tape, that can leave a bad residue when taking off. I have been told helicopter tape is the best to use (thick, doesn’t leave residue and pliable) BUT supposedly it is impossible or very difficult to get lately. Is this true? (seems with the internet, anything can be purchased these days). (also, it looks like there is all kind of “helicopter tape” on ebay, but maybe there is a specific stuff to use and others to stay away from?)

You guys have any good ideas for this application?

Tom Sabiel
    Participant

I use a clear tape made by Frost King for taping windows during the winter. Pretty inexensive and can be found in a hardware store or Home Depot.

Rod Hawkins
    Participant

I use a clear tape made by Frost King for taping windows during the winter. Pretty inexensive and can be found in a hardware store or Home Depot.

Interesting, how does it compare to other options out there? (thickness, pliability, residue, etc)

Tom Sabiel
    Participant

It holds up ok, a lot cheaper and easier to work with than helicopter tape.  I have also used it on my F2000 cars.

John Mulvihill
    Participant

The Frost King tape can also be peeled off without damage.

Rod Hawkins
    Participant

I have always been a big fan of using a clear paint protection on my vehicles. I kind of got to wondering if that might actually work well with this type of application? (the install is much different as you put it on wet)

Anyone ever try this?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication