Home Forums General Karting Discussion Getting Kart Bodywork Airbrushed

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  TJ Koyen 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Nate Shelhart
    Participant

Hi,

I’m trying to get my image as professional as possible to get sponsorships. To do this I will probably need the bodywork to get really good. The traditional decal wrapping just doesn’t seem effective. Has anyone airbrushed the bodywork to make it look really nice?

Thanks,

Nate

Dustin McGrew
    Participant

What are you going to do if it gets damaged?

johnny brooks
    Participant

Here are some ideas from the roadracing guys. Of course a bit more canvass to work with on a laydown. Check out the black leopard halfway down first page. Just one of several beautiful paint jobs on “Wild Bill’s” karts.

http://eknclassic.com/viewtopic.php?t=69238&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=paint&start=0

Brian Degulis
    Participant

Traditional paint won’t stick to bodywork I’m not sure if there anything special out there that would.

Brian

TJ Koyen
    Participant

If you’re talking about plastic CIK-style bodywork, you’re going to have a tough time getting paint to stick and any contact you make with other karts is going to mess the paint up pretty quickly.

A decal wrap will be cheaper, look better, be more durable, and easier to fix. Rubber marks can be cleaned off decals relatively easy or you can just peel the decal off and apply a new one. Paint is a much much bigger pain to touch-up. Not worth the time.

If you’re talking 4-stroke fiberglass bodywork, it’s more feasible but still you run into the same issues with touching it up and the paint getting ruined relatively easily compared to decals.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.