Home Forums Tech Talk Generator Recommendation

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Tim Koyen 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

brian downing
    Participant

I just bought a used trailer and I have a long list of items I need to buy to have a proper race support trailer. A generator is at the top of the list.

I’ve seen quite a few cheap brands that offer a 3500/4500 watt range but I’m afraid they’ll be worth what I paid for them.

Any real world experience with affordable generators that will help me select one to use for our race team?

TIA

Ron Towles
    Participant

I recommend a Yamaha EF3000iseb. I runs at 3000 watts with a boost to 3800 watts when needed. Be sure to look for the model with the boost. I’ve had mine since about 2003 and is used almost every weekend at the track. Changed the plug once, a couple of oil changes and a new air filter in 12 plus years. Also had to buy two batteries (electric start) over the years. Just bought my second battery today. And is quiet to boot. Only other generator I would own is a Honda 3000.

Jason Bane
    Participant

I have a Yamaha 2400is, great generator. It’s just barely enough to run my Makita compressor, which is the biggest job I have for it at the track.  If you want quiet clean power (safe for laptops and sensitive electronics), you can’t beat Honda or Yamaha.  They are pricey, but worth it in the long run. Your pit neighbors will thank you.

Ron Towles
    Participant

That’ why I went with the 3000 with boost. Never have a problem with starting my trailer air compressors since they are fairly small anyway compared to my shop air compressor.

I also have a Honda 1000 that I use for just trailer lights, grinder, and phone/computer charging. You can’t even hear it running.

Tim Koyen
    Participant

I couldn’t agree more with Ron on the value of the Yamaha EF3000.  I got mine second hand a few years ago.  Starts every time, runs A/C, and is very quiet.  Couldn’t ask for much more.  There are other decent generators out there, but for everyone’s sake, so don’t buy a POS that is so noisy that no one wants to pit by you, or worse yet, you torture those that HAVE to pit by you.

KartLift Kart Stands
    DeepSeat Kart Seats
    877-777-8020
    ------------------
    Don't bother PMing me, it doesn't work. Email is best: tim@kartlift.com.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication