Home Forums 250 Superkarts gasgas coil and cdi question

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Dillon 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Dillon
    Participant

Just read something on swedetech about mounting the coil and the cdi on a cr125 no further than 5 inches apart. It didnt say what would happen if they were farther apart than that and i was wondering what the problem is because i just mounted my cdi on a 250 gasgas to the floortray about 18 inches away from the the coil. What happens when they are farther apart? Or is there nothing to worry about? Thanks

Jeff Metter
    Participant

Dillon..technically i am not sure if there is any difference to have the two close together or not…all i can say is i as well have my cdi on the floorpan under/next to my seat and the coil is mounted on the back of the cylinder between cylinder and carb..never ever have had an issue in the past 3 years..

Ian Harrison
    Participant

Hi Dillon,

I would read that again!! If that’s what it says it is totally wrong!

When the coil and CDI are mounted close together the electro-magnetic emissions from the coil can interfere with the programming of the CDI box.

Mount them as far apart as you like.

Also always use a resistor plug and a 5Kohm resistor cap for the same reason.

Best Regards

Ian :-)

Ian Harrison
    Participant

In fact happy to report that those Swedetech boys got it right (as you would expect!!) here’s the quote:

“Note: Coil and CDI must be minimum of 4 to 5 inches apart.”

http://www.swedetechracing.com/tech_tips/tech_tips_cr125.html

Ian :-)

Dillon
    Participant

Ahh, guess I just read it wrong.  Thanks a lot guys.  Scared me for a bit as I just made a nice mount for the coil and cdi.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.