Home Forums Tech Talk fuel cell foam

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Steve O’Hara 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Eric Stockford
    Participant

Does anyone have experience with fuel cell foam?

I am having sloshing issues, and air in the line from the fuel shifting around. Thought this might be a quick fix. Just wanted to see if anyone has used it and what they found when working with it.

Thanks,

Eric

tony zambos
    Participant

Eric,

Have no expirence with fuel cell foam and don’t anyone that does. Suggest that you pull the pickup line out of the tank. There should be a weighted end and the line should be flexible. The weighted end should almost reach the bottom of the tank and that should be long enough to pick up fuel when it sloshes to the far side of the tank. Will adding more fuel help?

Greg Lindahl
    Participant

Fuel Safe builds fuel cells and sells foam.  Not inexpensive.  You’re probably dealing with the problem noted above by Tony.

I use foam in my roadracer and sprint roadracer.  You must be certain to not let the foam foul your pick up system if you use it.

Eric Stockford
    Participant

The tank is custom made Aluminum.

7 1/2 qt. The pick up is a margay style coming in from the lower rear of the tank. The pick up is located well for a fixed pick up. I can do a wand style pick up from the top as Tony recommends, i have already bought the parts, but was hoping to get some feed back as to which method is best.

tony zambos
    Participant

Eric,

Sorry, never considered you might have a bottom pickup. Hopefully someone with a similar tank will post.  If you look into the tank, are there walls around the pickup area? If not, would you consider installing a short piece of fuel line with a weighted end?

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Why do you need 7-1/2 qt? the average race uses less than a quart. Get a 2 qt tank and you’ll have plenty of fuel.

Gif

Eric Stockford
    Participant

Sprint enduro racing requires a minimum of 7 quarts for the 30 minutes of racing. With the newer style seat it leaves very little room for a fuel tank. That is why i made one. If i could buy an off the shelf tank that would fit i would have. Problem is when the tank is full and the fuel sloshes it pulls air. Then you have a big bubble in the line. It either stumbles or builds heat or both.

thank you for the feedback

Eric

Walt Gifford
    Participant

The (Van K?) aluminum tank on my SRR has a small chamber in the back to delay cavitation. If you put a donkey dick in the top use tygon or other non hardening tubing with heavy brass end piece and leave it a good 1-1/4″ off the bottom, it will stretch down and get hung on the bottom.

Gif

Steve O’Hara
    Participant

cell foam will not help. A bottom feed tank needs a sump to trap fuel for the corners. Some builders installed a partition in the tank with a trap door that will allow the fuel to move to the rear during acceleration and trap it there when braking or turning. Others built the sump hanging out the bottom of the tank and have small holes in the floor of the tank that feed the sump. That setup required the floor of the tank to be raised up off the pan of the kart. Using a chaser line from the top is effective as long as the floor of the tank is smooth and has nothing the weighted end can hang up on.

If you have to do any welding on the tank be very careful to clean it well enough to insure there are no remaining hydrocarbons left to explode…. speaking from experience here :(

Steve O’Hara

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.