Home Forums General Karting Discussion Front Suspension kits

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Walt Gifford 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Paul Hir
    Participant

I have a older Birel and would like to freshen up the front spindles, replace the bearing, spacers, King Bearing, and all the nuts and bolts, does anybody sell a kit? can I pick these items up at the local hardware store?

Greg Lindahl
    Participant

Hi Paul.

You can either go to a Birel dealer and see if they can help, or, measure the bearings and shop them using the size as reference.  You’ll get what you pay for.  Hardware store bearings are often low cost and quality. 

I suggest bearings made by companies you recognize or, after research, are convinced build a good product. 

OEM bearings on most karts is middle-to-lower quality.

William Martin
    Participant

King pin bearings are most likely 8mm ID, inline skate bearings fit nicely, or have for me. You can buy as much quality as you like with those…

Stub axle bearings are most likely 17mm ID, find an industrial bearing supplier for those. Take an old one with you when you go shopping, and don’t be afraid to get the equivalent size with “seals”, not shields, if you want them to last a long time.

The spacers are kind of unique, they are not plain washers, the little step on one side is there to keep them from dragging on the side of the king pin bearings.

Hope this a little helpful!

Bill M

Paul Hir
    Participant

Thanks everybody for the help, do the bearings have to be pressed in?  are there any guides on maintaining your front end?

Walt Gifford
    Participant

do the bearings have to be pressed in?

Hopefully.

My advise, unless there is a problem with the bearings, just get new king pins (that were made to be 8mm king pins not 5/16ths bolts) and leave it at that.

Gif

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.