Home Forums Tech Talk Front end alignment using alignment disks

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Walt Gifford 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

jack
    Participant

Hello all,

Can anyone provide any tips on setting up to perform a front end alignment using alignment disks and ensuring the measurements taken during the alignment are accurate? I recently purchased some alignment disks but there seems to be a good amount of room for error in the process I am currently employing and I don’t want to base my front end setup on incorrect measurements. I haven’t been able to find any tutorials online that use disks.

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Those are old school tools, but you can still use them

I honestly couldn’t tell you how to adjust the caster, or the camber, but the toe should be pretty straight forward.

Every kart is different, and most new karts are based on a metric format, and the toe varies from 1 to 2 mm. You can probably set up the discs once you know your camber and caster is right where you want it, then take a measuring tape and compare front and back of discs, and depending on the chassis you can space about 1/16″ toed out in front ( reason for this is once you set the kart on the ground and you get on it, it will go toe in)

What year and manufacturer is your kart? It would make it easier for us what to recommend once we know what kart you have, understanding the tubing size and how soft or hard the chassis is.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

A good front end alignment starts with getting the rear axle straight and level with the frame. If you don’t have rear plates you’ll need two rear tires that are the same rollout. You also need a surface that’s flat and level.

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication