Home Forums General Karting Discussion First Kart

This topic contains 19 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Rob Howden 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

William Weiler
    Participant

I thought I would start Karting in the Tag class. I am taking courses at Simraceway. I am closest to Monterey Bay Karting. I can buy a new Kart from either Fastech or Cambrian. Does anyone have an opinion about working with either sellers? Would I be getting most advice from the Club and not the sellers? I think it sort of doesn’t matter which and just depends on the sellers Kart manufacturer I like. I thought that if I had a Rotax, I could race more places if I wanted too, but the IAME looks a lot simpler. Seems like I would have to buy the Rotax from Cameron if I wanted it locally.

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Morgan Hill, CA

William Weiler
    Participant

I mostly asking if I am on the right track.

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Morgan Hill, CA

tony zambos
    Participant

It’s good that you’re asking around. The more you ask, the more questions you’ll have. Can’t comment on either shop, but have purchased parts from Fastech and they have been very good to me. But do go the shops and ask questions. Ask what tracks or series they support. Which ever shop you choose, buy you whole package from one shop. They’ll be much more inclined to offer support.

As for being a newbie, I can’t recommend the Rotax. It’s a good and reliable engine. Parts are on the expensive side. No matter what engine you pick, You will have routine maintenance. If you have a strong Yamaha class in the area, I’d suggest the Kt100. But there is a benefit of the Rotax as it does have an on board starter. I have a Rotax that was a perfectly fine motor until the EVO mods came out. Don’t think I’ll ever get rid of it. A Yamaha with a can is reliable and less expensive to maintain. There is a lot you’ll have to learn about chassis setups. Once you’ve learned to drive smoothly, with fast and consistent lap times, then upgrade you engine

LAD Specialties / tony kart / rotax / kt100

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Almost any top name chassis will do, but I would buy OTK (Tony Kart)

as they are easier to tune, and extremely competitive right out of the box, but I wouldn’t buy a Rotax engine package, almost all clubs I know are getting away from that engine. Most big events and classes do run X30 Tag.

Something to consider is your body size, how tall and heavy you are, before you buy a kart you may regret. A little more info about yourself would help us narrow it down.

Welcome to the sport! You’ll have a blast!

Hans Mattes
    Participant

I have a good friend who has been doing business with Fastech for a couple of years and is quite happy with them.  FWIW.

William Weiler
    Participant

Answering Freddy’s question, I am 5’9″, aged 56 and 220lbs. I am losing weight at the gym and suppose I will be more like 200lbs in a few months. I raced motocross as a kid and loved it. I drove karts at Lemans in Fremont and was hooked.

I am assuming for my weight a 32mm frame is better?

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Morgan Hill, CA

Rob Howden
    Keymaster

Hi William,

Welcome to the EKN Forums!

First and foremost, if you’re just getting into the sport and will likely run at Simraceway and/or Monterey, I would highly suggest starting the Briggs LO206 class. It will provide a low-cost entry into the sport, it’s easy on the body and the engine is bulletproof and reliable. The class is offered at both tracks. The LO206 class is growing in NorCal and you’ll have a ton of fun. If you decide you want to go quicker next year, your race package will have good re-sale value if you decide you want to move to a faster class.

As for buying a race package, go with Cambrian Karting. When you’re at the track, they’ll be there to help out with technical assistance. The online store does not offer trackside support, and you’re going to need it. And simply put, it’s a BIG positive to support a true brick-and-mortar support that spends its weekends at the track making sure its customers have what they need. We need more of that in our support. Buy from the people who are actually at the track when you need help.

Cambrian is a great shop, run by passionate enthusiasts of the sport, and they sell great products, including the LO206 engine package.

Rob Howden - eKartingNews.com Publisher / Editor - @RobHowden

Walt Gifford
    Participant

At your height and weight you won’t have to worry about chassis tuning. You just slam all the settings to make it as loose as you can and it will still be too tight with snap oversteer. You’ll be 25 lbs over weight for the heavy class which will hurt you on the short track and your height will be like an aero brake on the long track. Your vertical center of gravity will make you feel like an elephant on a roller skate and if someone taps you, you can easily go into a bone breaking flip. I’ve seen big and tall guys flip without hitting anything when they put a wheel wrong. Best bet, don’t run the spec tire, super hard tires first season, sliding is good grip will flip. I’m big and tall too but I get by with 40+ years of driving skill and I’m a jet mechanic so my equipment prep is excellent. Even so it’s extremely hard to win a race or run with the leaders (dangerous) unless there are special circumstances. I keep doing it (even though it beats me up physically) because it’s just so much dang fun and the people are great. If you’re ready for that reality welcome to karting.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  Walt Gifford.

Rob Howden
    Keymaster

At your height and weight you won’t have to worry about chassis tuning. You just slam all the settings to make it as loose as you can and it will still be too tight with snap oversteer. You’ll be 25 lbs over weight for the heavy class which will hurt you on the short track and your height will be like an aero brake on the long track. Your vertical center of gravity will make you feel like an elephant on a roller skate and if someone taps you, you can easily go into a bone breaking flip. I’ve seen big and tall guys flip without hitting anything when they put a wheel wrong. Best bet, don’t run the spec tire, super hard tires first season, sliding is good grip will flip. I’m big and tall too but I get by with 40+ years of driving skill and I’m a jet mechanic so my equipment prep is excellent. Even so it’s extremely hard to win a race or run with the leaders (dangerous) unless there are special circumstances. I keep doing it (even though it beats me up physically) because it’s just so much dang fun and the people are great. If you’re ready for that reality welcome to karting.

Gif

LOL – easy there, Walt. I think you’re way off the mark here. Did you mis-read his height?

When he gets to 200 lbs, William will be essentially the same weight (195) and height (5’9″) as I am, and he’ll fit easily in a kart and could be very close on weight for the LO206 Senior class at Monterey, which is 360#. I don’t know where you get the idea that he’s in any danger of a flip because of his stature and measurements. If he keeps up with his workouts, he’ll be right on weight by mid-season.

William, keep up with your workouts and dropping the weight, but as you do it, you’ll be fine. There are a ton of guys over 200# running LO206 and the kart handles fine. You’ll definitely need to tune the chassis. And, center of gravity has more to do with the length of your in-seam, which will determine how low you can get in the kart with an adjusted seat position. I have a 29′ in-seam, so my legs are often straight. If you’re a little longer in the legs, you’ll be able to get lower than me, but I’m still good. See below:

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  Rob Howden.

Andy Seesemann
    Participant

Thats a good looking kart, Rob!

Andy Seesemann
    Orange, CA.
    Full Throttle Karting
    www.fullthrottlekartingshop.com
    Challenge of the Americas
    www.rotaxchallenge.com
    USRMC Director
    andy@gorotax.com
    WKA District 10 Trustee

Rob Howden
    Keymaster

Thats a good looking kart, Rob!

Felt great to drive, too.

David Cole
    Keymaster

Who was faster in it?????

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor -
    FB Tweet Inst

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Must of had a dyslexic moment thought he was 6’5″.

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  Walt Gifford.

Rob Howden
    Keymaster

Must of had a dyslexic moment thought he was 6’5″.

OK…that makes sense.

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Man! I wish my kart would hook up like that! I have the same kart, but I’m 6.1″ and 210 lbs and my legs are shorter than my upper body, I’ve tried everything, seat position, high/low, closer to the axle, further from the axle, more tilted, etc, Higher air pressure on tires, you name it.

Rob looks really confy on that seat, and his arms are holding the steering wheel real nicely, looking really good all the way around. Is he closer to the front? or just my view? Please throw me a bone, so I can adjust mine better.

The older I get, the slower I am. At this point I’m just gonna change my name from FastFreddy to Slow old fart Freddy. Lol

Rob Howden
    Keymaster

Man! I wish my kart would hook up like that! I have the same kart, but I’m 6.1″ and 210 lbs and my legs are shorter than my upper body, I’ve tried everything, seat position, high/low, closer to the axle, further from the axle, more tilted, etc, Higher air pressure on tires, you name it.

Rob looks really confy on that seat, and his arms are holding the steering wheel real nicely, looking really good all the way around. Is he closer to the front? or just my view? Please throw me a bone, so I can adjust mine better.

The older I get, the slower I am. At this point I’m just gonna change my name from FastFreddy to Slow old fart Freddy. Lol

The photo is coming through Tic-Tac-Toe at Sonoma, hopping the second curb. It’s Andy Seesemann’s personal kart and we have similar leg and body lengths. The kart felt so comfortable. Maybe he can provide some input on the seat position – he definitely knows his stuff.

Patrick Haney
    Participant

William,

If you are planning on running at Monterey,  we have a good size TaG class running mostly IAME X30.  We also have a Briggs World Formula and Senior LO 206 class as well.  Our first open practice is Feb 4th.  Check out the web site for more info about the club.  Welcome to karting.  Please contact me if you have questions.

Patrick

Monterey Bay Karters

montereybaykarters.com

Rob Howden
    Keymaster

Some kid younger than me by over 10 years was faster by a hundreth of a second.

Brag worthy, for sure. 😉

Craig Drabik
    Participant

We also have a Briggs World Formula and Senior LO 206 class as well.

I’ve always thought people would be better off starting in lower power, lower cost, lower maintenance classes.  I raced World Formula for years and only moved up to TaG when I started wanting to race regionally.  I bought a World Formula brand new for just over $1000, ran it four years with only oil changes and a clutch replacement, and won a lot of club races in it.  You’ll spend that much on a national motor shop doing an engine rebuild on a TaG motor, plus the cost of the engine in the first place.

Fall in love with the sport first, then you won’t mind spending the money to go faster while staying competitive.

Rob Howden
    Keymaster

Fall in love with the sport first, then you won’t mind spending the money to go faster while staying competitive.

I agree with this completely. The 206 or World Formula programs are the perfect entry point at the MBK club. Get it, build equity into your program with equipment and tools etc, and if you decide you want to go faster, go for it. But for the money, the 206 is the best bang for the buck.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication