This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Marty Troup 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Walt Gifford
    Participant

If you have a mile long track with all intestines and one unbelievably long straight, your lowest lap times will have you on the rev limiter for a good part of the straight. Would you go faster at top end on the rev limiter or lift off the throttle and keep the revs just below the limiter?

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Rob Kozakowski
    Participant

If it’s a LO206, keep your foot planted.

Marty Troup
    Participant

think of it this way the more revs the faster you will be going.

so faster down the straight = lower lap times!

Rob Kozakowski
    Participant

Marty, what about a LO206, with a 6100 rpm (or thereabouts) rev limiter?  There is no “more” than 6100 rpm, so “more revs” doesn’t necessarily mean faster.

The answer Walt wants to know is whether you are better hitting the rev limiter and keeping your foot planted when you do (staying on the limiter) or backing off slightly and staying below the limiter?

I think the question comes from some rev-limited racing classes, where the electronics have an almost punitive effect if you hit the rev-limiter, where it might drop the revs several (hundred) rpm’s below the “limit”, slowing you down, before they climb to the “limit” again.

In the Briggs, the limiter just holds you at about 6100 rpm – there is no drop in engine or rolling speed.  Everyone I know (including some seriously fast LO206 racers) keeps their right foot planted.

Marty Troup
    Participant

Thats what i was getting at with the LO206.

I know what you are talking about with electronic or fuel type rev limiters

but this is in the 206 forum so this was my answer.

I also thought Walt was fishing as he has most answers at hand.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication