Home Forums TaG Rotax Max Evo Upgrades

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 91 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Brett Clatt 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 92 total)
  • Author

Mark Traylor
    Participant

Has anyone received an upgrade kit yet?  I put in my order a while ago and have not heard anything back yet regarding payment.   Our series is supposed to start racing on Evo soon.

Eric Kinn
    Participant

Got a call from MaxSpeed late yesterday asking for payment information. I had ordered both a junior and senior upgrade and they were already out of the senior. They are shipping the junior today but the senior probably won’t ship for another 2 or 3 weeks. Know of others in our club that also got called and were able to get their senior upgrade.

Brett Clatt
    Participant

Good to know. I sent my info to them for a senior motor I have on the 19th of February and hadn’t heard anything, at least I’m not the only one.

Mike Bray
    Participant

I got Eric’s senior kit:)

Mark Traylor
    Participant

I did hear back from Maxspeed.  They sold kits out nearly immediately as they had an excruciatingly small quantity of kits.  They apparently do  have DD2 kits but that is all and just a few.   They wont have for for about 4 weeks.  I would think that there will be a ton sold, even to people well out of racing just so that the engines could be sold just as it was with HPV/KPV.  With the installed base of Rotax I would guess they will be selling near 2000 of these kits.  It seems like a nightmare for just a few people to wade through all the serial numbers and make calls back.  Maybe I am way off and only active racers will be buying any of the kits but if I had an engine just sitting around I think I would buy the kit so it can be sold.  after the kit goes to retail price an non upgraded engine wont be worth anything.

josh martin
    Participant

The entire process is ridiculous. Who mandates a change involving their own product line with insufficient inventory? Our one rotax driver will miss the first two events of the season, and all they can tell us is how far behind they are. I don’t care. You dictate the change, be prepared to support it.

Mark Traylor
    Participant

As far as missing race dates due to no upgrade kit I think most series are delaying implementation until parts are readily available.   That is a decision that is left up to the individual series.

That said I agree that the kits need to be offered once there is an ability to fullfill the demand.

Christian Fox
    Participant

A bit strange that Evo parts are available at retail, but demand for upgrade kits clearly has not been satisfied. I think delayed implementation is inevitable.

Mark Traylor
    Participant

That is odd Christian.  I asked a couple dealer friends about it and they had no parts but they have gotten complete engines.  They thought that the online guys selling parts are buying engines and offering the parts for sale.  I guess if someone is in a giant hurry to get the parts and start testing they may pay the retail prices for them.  I know I can’t do that but some people can.

Christian Fox
    Participant

Ah, that makes more sense, Mark. Thanks

Mark Traylor
    Participant

you can race with or without the upgrade in any series.  The Micro class sees the largest difference in performance.

Wesley Legaspi
    Participant

How long does it take for maxspeed to call you back after submitting the paperwork and picture?  Sent mine in yesterday and have not heard from them.  Thanks.

Mark Traylor
    Participant

Mine has been in 2.5 weeks.  No call back.   I did get emails back following emails to them.   They won’t contact you until they have a kit available for you.

Brett Clatt
    Participant

I submitted my info for the Senior kit on February 17th and they sent my package on March 10th.

Mark Parker
    Participant

So what is the difference in evo to prevo micros?

I was going to test a “before and after” but dont have tim

Brett Clatt
    Participant

Going to take the new EVO Junior out Saturday morning for a couple of break in runs. I’ll post a video and opinion when we’re done.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/WMMC-Racing/480525108755364

Mark Traylor
    Participant

Mark,

The micro is the one engine with very different performance numbers based on the published power curves.  For instance the Prevo peaked at 6.8hp at 6500 RPM and then continously falls off to 3.2hp at 10,500 RPM.  the Evo curve says it peaks at 8.1 hp at 7000 rpm and holds the 8hp 8200rpm then drops to 7hp and holds at 6.5 to 7 hp up to 11,000 rpm.   Then it drops quickly to 2.6hp at 12,000 rpm.   so the hp at 10,500 is double the Prevo.  There is about 30% more area under the Evo power curve compared to the Prevo.  The Evo will be quite a lot quicker than the Prevo (not upgraded).  Hoopefully the upgraded prevo will be on par with the full Evo.  The current murmurs seem to be positive in that respect but we will soon find out.

This is all from PUBLISHED curves.   Not real dyno data I have access to.  SO it all depends on how much the BRP marketing department pencil whipped the curves.

Christian Fox
    Participant

If an EVO micro upgrade really does increase by hp~1.3, that should even the motors out a bit, which is something BRP wants to accomplish. Marginal differences in horsepower between different motors are diminished as baseline hp increases. A national level prevo micro will make close to 8hp now, an average prevo micro is around 7hp. In other words, it’s not even close.

Mark Traylor
    Participant

yeah.  Question remains is can you take 200 cylinders, ignitions, carbs etc. and now make a 9hp micro.   we wont know for a while.  Maybe we get one year of better parody?  If there is money to spend someone will spend it.  You can not control spending, only complexity.

Once upgraded will that near 8hp micro now make 9 with no changes or will it still be about 8?  the impressive thing about the Evo micro curve is not the peak hp.  Peak hp can be really deceiving particularly in a single speed vehicle.  The width of the curve and area under it is what is impressive.

Mark Parker
    Participant

A few random discussion points now that my evo kit is almost installed.

The header opening on the Evo is 4mm smaller than the Prevo and doesn’t come with a gasket. If mixing parts is ok for a while why wouldn’t I run the bigger header?

The wiring harness for a micro is the same as the dd2 so you still end up with a substantial ball of spare wire and even a few extra connectors.

The mount and the instructions are pure shit, anyone with pics of how theirs went together please post!

has anyone heard anything about certain cylinders being allowed and others not?

Mark Traylor
    Participant

Yes Mark, the header is smaller and the muffler tube and outlet are larger.   To address the complexity comment I made above you can run all Prevo or all Evo (upgrade) but no mixing of the two.   You can not run the old header and new carb, or old ignition with new carb, or new ignition and old carb etc.   that sort of mix and match would create a nightmare matrix of complexity that would further the gap between the haves and have nots to the extreme.

There are unconfirmed rumors regarding the future of certain cylinders but it is all rumor and guessing that I do not care to broadcast publicly.

Mark Traylor
    Participant

Mark Parks,

I am sure you realize this but don’t forget that the Evo micro does not use throttle stop in the new carburetor.

Mark Parker
    Participant

I set the stop up on the pedal. Did I miss anything? We never ran it much in the old setup so I don’t really know what changed but did the old carb have the stop built in or ?

Mark Traylor
    Participant

Mark Parks,

The Prevo micro carb requirs a stop that is inserted into the carb cap.  The split tube that has the cadmium plating on it.  It restricts the micro to about half throttle.  The  new XS carb on the micro does not use that stop inside the carburetor, you can run full throttle on the new carb.

Mark

Brett Clatt
    Participant

Had the 2015 Junior EVO out at the track all weekend. Did the break in Saturday and ran it all day today. Here in Denver the altitude plays a big roll in jetting. We’ve been having one hell of a time getting the rpm over 12,200rpm. We’re down to a 120 main jet and 45/45 idle jets. It does produce awesome power from 8-11,000 rpm, but the sub 8,000rpm bog is devastating right now.

We broke it in at a one mile track that is fast. The Junior EVO performed great there, ran the same times as the Senior motor. On the tighter shorter course today we were struggling.

More testing next weekend.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication