Home Forums Tech Talk Euro Brakes

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Alan Russell 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Alan Russell
    Participant

I have an older Birel brakes, non-hybrid.  Calipers B-132×2 Master 10.6406.00.

My brake lines are shot, leaky.  Any idea what I can do for replacements.  Will anything from MCP bolt up?  The system has one line from the master splitting with a T near the caliper.  Hose lengths are 19″ 3/4, 7″ 7/16, and 11″ 7/8.

I know they are really metric, guessing 500mm, 190mm, 300mm.

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  Alan Russell.

andy graham
    Participant

Let me see what’s in the shed, I think Ive got u covered…. Ive got a bunch of older birel brake stuff …. send me a text, I can reply with some pics

Andy

nine oh four 3 four 9 six zero one 3

Alan Russell
    Participant

Awesome.  Thanks.

Alan Russell
    Participant

Does anyone know what the thread is on euro (like birel ) master cylinders and calipers.  1/8 male pipe threads in, so I am guessing it is M10 x1.0.  My thought is to get a 1/8 tap, retap the MC and calipers, and then go to -3 AN brake lines, which seem to be quite easily available.  I’m just a little worried road racing with old brake lines.

What does one use for thread sealant on brake lines?

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Alan, if you use a pipe tap make sure the threads on the fitting don’t shank out. You want the fitting to tighten up with most of the threads in the block but some thread showing. If you need sealer it’s not tapped right but teflon paste is ok.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Alan Russell
    Participant

Thanks Gif.  I’m just going to dump some data in here for the next person trying to do this.

I ended up using Permatex 59235 High Temperature Thread Sealant on the threads.  Instead of going to braided steel covered lines I just bought Speedway’s Lightweight Nylon Racing Brake Line Kit.

To rebuild the master cylinder since I have a 22b pump (22mm/ 7/8″ bore) I bought wheel cylinder cups from napa (this is what it used originally) part# UP 3023 .  If it was a 19b pump (19mm/ 3/4″ bore) you would need part# UP 4158.

To rebuild the calipers you need 1 1/4″ wheel cylinder cups, part# UP 666.

These wheel cylinder cup part #’s are all NAPA specific.  To find these parts on NAPA’s website is difficult.  Try this link.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?text=wheel%2Bcylinder%2Bcup&q=Ntk%3DKeyword%26N%3D0%26Ntt%3Dwheel+cylinder+cup&isProduct=true&page=1

Most of these parts are for cars made in the 40’s…  So pick up spares when you pick them up.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication