Home Forums TaG Rotax Max Engine Cylinder Question

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  tony zambos 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Robert Fisher
    Participant

I have a somewhat dumb question: when I rotate the engine by hand (by rotating the gear on the crankshaft on the side near the clutch), the engine turns freely, except when the cylinder begins to seal near the top of its travel, and also when it breaks the seal on the other side of the rotation. Is this simply resistance from making and breaking the seal on the cylinder and the combustion chamber, or is something in the way of the cylinder that needs to be fixed?

tony zambos
    Participant

Robert,
    Maybe I didn’t understand your post. Are you turning the gear on the clutch? Resistance on the compression stroke as the piston reaches the top of the cylinder would be normal. However, turning the clutch drum gear should not cause the crankshaft to turn.

LAD Specialties / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Robert Fisher
    Participant

I’m not turning the clutch, the clutch turns free. Yes its resistance to the piston, so it looks like I’m in the clear. Thanks!

tony zambos
    Participant

You’re good. A 2-cycle engine basically needs gas with oil, air, compression and a spark to run.

LAD Specialties / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication