Home Forums Shifter Karts Electric water pump for KZ

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Carter Thompson 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Vernon Head
    Participant

I found a company called Davies Craig that sells one. I wonder if anyone has done this. In order to use a KZ for autocross I need to be able to idle for up to 5 minutes at a time. Do you simply replace the axle pump or add the electric one?

If I were to turn the electric pump off  just before taking off, would the non-functioning pump block the water from being pumped by the axle pump?

Matt Martin
    Participant

Simply replace the axle pump.  You could do both, but that would be silly and add weight and complexity that you don’t need.  I would suggest running a thermostat so the engine doesn’t stay cold as the electric pump will likely run at 100% duty cycle without some sort of programmable controller.

Vernon Head
    Participant

Could I just turn the pump on and off to regulate the temperature?

Matt Martin
    Participant

You could.  That assumes you know the temperature – a water pump that is turned off will not flow water past an in-line temp sensor, especially if that sensor that is further downstream.  You could run the temp sensor directly off the engine’s outlet and have a better idea.

I think your application warrants a thermostat which opens the path for the radiator, but keeps a closed-loop (with the thermostat) when warming up.

45°C 3-Way Thermostat

Vernon Head
    Participant

Thanks!

Brian Wilhelm
    Participant

I’ve used that pump for 10 years, and they work great. During warmup, I do regulate temperature by turning it on and off. I do use a modified IAME Leopard thermostat for those times I may not have adequate time for a proper warmup.

Alan Sheidler
    Participant

Vernon,

Check with Jason Vehige, he runs an electric pump on his autocross kart.

Not sure what his setup is regarding the axle-driven pump.  Anyway, it works well for him.

Carter Thompson
    Participant

I think that is a great idea if you have to already add weight to the kart. I would imagine you would have to run a battery to power the EWP. I run the Davis Craig on my SCCA race car and love it. No need for a thermostat, the controller takes care of all that. I have mine controlled via the ECU and it’s speed is controlled by RPM and temperature. The DC controller basically does all the hard work and keeps the engine cool. I will have to do my homework on that since I have 35+ # of lead on the kart to make weight.

Any updates on your project?

Carter

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication