Home Forums General Karting Discussion Electric Karting – Resources?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  David Cole 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

WillHodges
    Participant

I’m new to karting, but I’ve been an avid car fanatic for way too long. After doing a little straight line stuff and getting bored quickly with it I’m looking to get on a track. Doing it with my Corvette is going to be really pricey between track insurance, track entrance fees, and tires and other expendables. That got me looking into kart. Then after doing a little research, there aren’t many people doing electric karts. I realize after looking up the classes, that there isn’t an electric class YET, so that probably takes the appeal out of it to most people.

After looking around, it seems like Rattlesnake Electric Sports makes some karts, but from this video the owner says they cost about $20K:

That’s a little more than I want to spend, and it looks like I can build something better for a whole lot less using parts from here:

from http://www.electricmotorsport.com/karting/

Being a total noobie to all of this, does anyone know if there are any plans to standardize kart rules for an EV class? I read around a little about the demise of this sport in the USA because things are getting too technical and I wonder if making an electric series might make that a little easier since those motors are already incredibly efficient and it might level the playing field a little more?

If I’m missing a company that already makes an electric kart, let me know. I’m pretty sure I want to build something, but if there is someone that has it all figured out and isn’t asking an arm and a leg, I’d be interested.

David Cole
    Keymaster

Hi Will, I see you are in texas and I have not seen too much if any electric karting there.  Check out http://purdue.edu/mstem3/race/international-EV.html

Purdue is the leader in the electric karting area as of right now for highschool and college.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication