Home Forums Tech Talk EKN Classic search: Transx160 battery replacement

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Chad Landers 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Can’t find the thread on battery removal and replacement for the Trans X 160 Transponder.

I knew I should have saved that!!!!

Can anyone help?

RPM

tony zambos
    Participant

tony zambos
    Participant

Robert,

That last link I posted won”t get you anywhere. Thought I could copy the link for a SEARCH result. Can’t do that. Instead, in the Search box, type in
    amb and battery and replacement on the EKN Classic site.

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Tony,

Thanks for the direction. Do you have trouble at the Classic site?

It seems to take an awful long time to buffer or search. My results are coming up short as well.

Do you know who was the author of the thread? Maybe that will help. Got lots of suggestions but none being that “how to” on replacing the batteries.

Obviously found the thread on sending back to AMB. I’ll keep trying, it’s there somewhere!!!

RPM

tony zambos
    Participant

Robert,
    Really haven’t had any problems with the Classic site. The only issue is the links in the old site referring to other posts within the Classic site don’t seem to work. That’s probably do the path being changed as the site moved.

As for the search time, that site was never the quickest. There is a lot of data to sort through and I’m sure the site does not reside on a super computer. Would question the few hits searching for AMB that were returned.

For repair, it seems that Transponder Services, http://www.transponderservices.com, is the only professional repair service available. Think there was a post saying AMB no longer repairs the transponders, but I would contact them myself. There was a karter on the Classic site, Jim Rektorski out of Naperville IL that could repair them. But he isn’t on the new site. Maybe someone else can hock you up with him.

Have you tried contacting a few kart shops to see if they have a resource?

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Tony, I found it.

It was not under a “thread” about do it yourself replacement.

The guy that successfully did the replacement (Jim Rektorski) commented on this thread: AMB Transponder exchange Started by this guy: Teo Konuralp

I copied all Jim’s comments and pasted them to my MS Word. Got it forever now! Only down side is he never went into detail about how to disassemble the case and reinstall the new batts. Did read some other comments on a UK karting site that filled in those blanks.

Did you know you can put your transponder to sleep???? According to the guy in the UK, if you put a charged transponder back on an UNPLUGGED charger it will go to a “sleep” mode….and save the charge! I will try this today, if that is the case I may use that process before getting into the battery replacement. He also suggested doing this if flying with a charged transponder!

I currently have 3 blinks on a full charge and it does in fact last 3 days. If I remove it from the kart each evening and put it back on an unplugged charger it should have no problem lasting a full road race weekend.

One comment was universal, US or UK, if you don’t remove the transponder from the charger as soon as it’s finished it will start to kill the life of the battery. Over charging is very bad for them!

Happy Karting!

RPM

tony zambos
    Participant

Robert,
    Glad you found what you were looking for. I usually charge mine in the garage, starting the day before we pack the trailer for a race. This way it can be watched as we pack and removed from the charger as soon as it’s charged. It’s for a whole weekend.
    With three flashes now on a fully charged battery and you’re carefully not to leave it on the charger too long, it should be good for a whole weekend. Have fun.

Chad Landers
    Participant

Go to this thread on Badger Kart Club. I have some information on there.

http://badgerkartclub.com/db/index.php?topic=2695.0

You may have to register a name.

There is also a thread on the ekarting classic form. Search my name on there if you can.

If you need more help just let me know.

Chad

tony zambos
    Participant

Chad,

Thanks for the reminder. I am registered on the Badger site, but forget to use the forum as a resource. Saw both posts and EKN Classis and the Badger forums. Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

Saw your post about a Rotax not starting and it sounds like the same problem I help a racer with at Gateway. Don’t suppose that was you?

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Chad, I did see your name in that thread as well!

Tony, I figure it will only get worse (# of blinks) from here on out. Just want to be sure it makes it through a weekend.

At this point, just looking for things to do until we can get out again!!!!

Thanks Guys!

RPM

Chad Landers
    Participant

Tony,

Yes that was me at Gateway. Stupid ground wire on opposite side of coil mount.

Rob,

I replaced my batteries years ago and mine only blinks 3 times. Wish I would have went with a higher mah rating. I charge my transponder the night before I leave for the weekend and it will last all weekend. Mine will usually blink red for a day to go about 4 days total. If I get worried about it I will put it on the charger at the track for a few hours.

If yours still blinks 3 times on the original batteries don’t change them yet. It is a pain in the butt to change out if not needed.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.