Home Forums Chassis & Handling Driving: Slow in Slow out

This topic contains 85 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  patrick hubbell 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 76 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • Author

Tim Pappas
    Participant

My head hurts.  I made the mistake of reading this thread in the morning and it made me hit the  moonshine early just to make the pain go away.

mark crook
    Participant

complete newbie to owning a kart and i can honestly say that there is far too much maths and theory involved in this topic.

the way that i see it, there is no set rule for entering a corner, all corners are different and require different driving lines and rules.

for instance, a hairpin leading on to a straight i would brake hard, deep into the outside of the corner, turn sharp and accelerate hard. ‘hard in, hard out’

alternatively an ‘s’ bend would require a more constant speed, dabbing the brakes softly and floating the accelerator pedal gently through the corner. ‘easy in, easy out’ ???

Matt Dixon
    Participant

Throw rain into the mix…

After 3 days of seeing how the best drivers in the world in just about all classes and ages approach corners in the wet you would think it was magic.

There was different entry speeds, turn in points and lines through the corners but most of the time they end up at the track out point excactly the same.

Awesome to watch.

mark crook
    Participant

only ever driven a kart in the rain once. next time i will definitely not be wearing slicks…..

the ‘magic’ was returning to the pits in one piece.

my friend kept saying “why didnt you turn into the corners, you weren’t turning in!??”, needless to say the discussion got a little heated.

Steve Libretto
    Participant

Throw rain into the mix… After 3 days of seeing how the best drivers in the world in just about all classes and ages approach corners in the wet you would think it was magic. There was different entry speeds, turn in points and lines through the corners but most of the time they end up at the track out point excactly the same. Awesome to watch.

+1

I’ve wanted  to go see the Super Nats for years, and finally got there this year. It was amazing watching the racing in all classes both wet and dry. Awesome seeing the different lines in the wet vs dry, and also the varying lines used in different classes. Some GREAT racing going on throughout the event. It was certainly the best of the best out there!

Charles Kaneb
    Participant

One thing to note is that the grip level changes as you go into and through a corner. Tires can heat up 50*F between the braking point and exit. You can corner harder near the apex than you did at entry. On exit you’ll have to worry about tire drag, so set your line so that you’re reducing total tire force away from the limit there.

Ray Lovestead
    Participant

Charles

What do you mean about tire drag and ‘setting the line to reduce total tire force’?  Can anyone else picture this?
    Ray

Oscar Aguilera
    Participant

slow in….means that the tactical side of racing in that particular corner sees no advantage to going in balls out to that corner…because the arc of that single corner puts you in an exit…that is the wrong position to be in to take the next corner effectively to maximize speed coming out.

slow out means that tactically….it is almost a blocking situation because of the design of the track.  better to brake late to defend or go in as fast as possible and maybe scrub off more speed than necessary so as to defend or be able to set up for the next straight or corner.

if you go slow in or slow out all the time….your just slow…but sometimes you need to be more tactical in your driving so as to maximize your position on the track.  and that is the “magic”….knowing when to do this…when not too…and how many times you can be aggressive before cooking the tires…and then you have to ask yourself if the race you entered allows new tires for the final…or you have been on the same tires and tire wear is an issue.

plus the track changes…its more predictable in ashpalt racing…but it changes, so if you cant stay ahead of the track conditions and you have no on board tuning gadgets you need to read the track…PLUS as things heat up…and wear during the race…you will have to adjust your lines.

you are ALWAYS trying to maximize your lap…duh…but the computer can only map out one lap and one corner at a time with all the variables you input…the variables change with every lap and with other competitiors on the track.  this is for the computer needs that think there is one formula you can plug in and viola…answer spits out like in those cheesy 60’s movies.

AND you set your kart to come in late…or sometimes in the middle of the race…or sometimes in the begining….the strategy of where you start.

hope i answered your question without dwelling into the tuning of the kart so much…because the tuning is a major part of the equation…can make or break you…it isnt the only part of the equation.

Oscar Aguilera
    Participant

self promoted joking post….

i will not be on here for a while as my AA meetings take too much time away since i read all these pages and started drinking Moonshine after papas brought it up.

just for fun i would like for paul k to debate gearing all by himself and see where he ends up on that theory?  lmao!!!  rotf!

yes if you have been here long enough…you will get that joke!

Eric Gunderson
    Participant

You could always try following a ‘rabbit,’ or having one of your friends go out with you and shadow you. That’s how it will be in a race, might as well find out where you are weak in practice. Whenever I would go to a new track my tuner and I would go out and race. One would pass the other, progressively moving around the track, every corner, over and over. By the end of the day or second day I had the track figured out.

patrick hubbell
    Participant

Yes, slow in and fast out.  Only if you are over driving the kart into the corners. Slow in means under control and no “sea sawing” of the steering wheel. Fast out is the result of being in control.

Viewing 11 posts - 76 through 86 (of 86 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.