Home Forums General Karting Discussion does this seem like a deal?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Dan Schlosser 1 year ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Matt Pfaffenbach
    Participant

Hello, another new to kartingquestion. Looking to pick up a used kart to get ready for next year. Found this one a few hours from my house for $650 definitely needs some work and some new parts which I’m willing to put into it. I’m in new York about an hour north of English town and an hour east of the ovrp. I went to the last race of English town to check out the scene  and what a blast it was. Is this a kart that can be raced at ovrp and e-town? Seems to have a modified engine but will be willing to turn to stock. I’m 28yo 6’4 and around 250lbs yeah I’m a big boy but saw guys just as big at etown a few weeks ago. A friend of mine had one but about 10 years ago and I rode his and he was about the same size as me. Any help would be great thanks in advance.

Matt Pfaffenbach
    Participant

Greg Wright
    Participant

I really don’t believe that a 125cc shifter kart is where you need to be right now.  Do E-Town and/or OVRP have shifter classes?

Greg Wright
    Rapid Racing Inc.

"When in doubt Gas it, It won't help but it ends the suspense."

Richard Gordon
    Participant

I would run far away. Looks like it spent a lot of time stored outside. Would cost more to get it going than it would to buy a newer race ready kart. Shifter class also costs a bunch to run. $250 each weekend for tires. $75 for fuel. No such thing as a cheap shifter kart.

Matt Pfaffenbach
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. Yes both tracks have shifter classes. And etown has a big Yamaha class .thanks for the replies on the kart I’m not a big fan of craigslist or buying anything unless I get alot of thumbs up from people .I’m a certified welder and diesel mechanic and do autobody on the side so I’m not afraid of taking on a kart project…but many replies and messages to stay away cause it’s an old frame…anybody know of kart shops where I can take a look at karts in my area (Poughkeepsie ny)

Nick George
    Participant

that thing looks terrible.. my guess is it need a ton of money to get it running, and the chassis is so old, no way it will be competitive.   You’d be better off getting a 2010-2014 chassis and motor. At least you’d know what you’re getting into. And “when” you crash this kart, its so old, you’ll never find parts for it. So you will have to either jerry-rig a fix, or get a new chassis.

A buddy of mine, bought a nice older topkart, trying to get into a shifter cheap, and had that issue. He bent a spindle, and couldnt find any anywhere. No one carried them anymore. Luckly he randomly found a guy selling a sent, but if he hadn’t, he would have had to convert the whole front end over to some other brand of spindles and brakes (which would have cost an arm and a leg). And even then, that may not have actually worked.

Running shifters is very expensive.. i thought i could do it cheap too (just tires and entry fee) and it turns out things break (even if you dont crash), and need to be replaced a lot. I would figure 850-1000 per weekend of racing for a shifter to be mildly competitive. Also there there will be a huge time commitment if you want to be fast. The fast guys that i race with are at the track every weekend practicing (when they arent at a race). They are buying tires by the case, rebuilding motors, buying a couple new chassis a year.

At your weight, you will be way over weight for any shifter class, unless your track offers a heavyweight class.  Im 195lbs, and am 20lbs over weight for S4, which gets an extra 20lbs over the standard s1 / s2 shifter classes.

Also, if you’re just getting into karting, i really suggest getting into a L206 class if your local track offers it. Yes i know its not fast, but honestly if i had to do it again, thats the direction i would take.  its a lot cheaper to get into. Cost to run, is way cheaper. things dont wear out or break like they do in shifter classes. And the racing is a lot closer. Here in California, its really making a big surge, and more and more people are getting into it. Motors cost about 500 bucks, and they run forever. tires can last a couple race weekends.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Matt I’ve been restoring old karts like that for decades. It’s a hobby for me and I know what’s involved. I can tell you from experience that if he gave you that kart for free it still would not make sense financially. There are much better package deals all around this area and you have all winter to look for a deal. There are only 1-2 people that run LO206 in this area and my advise to you is to shoot for the Yamaha KT100 sportsman class. Give Jimmy Schultz at GrandProducts a call and see what he can set you up with.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Just read the ad: Engine mechanical good, no spark. New engine top end rebuild, no hours on rebuild.

It’s Mechanically good it just doesn’t run LOL. No hours on rebuild, no kidding because it doesn’t run LOL.

Says it has new brake pads and bearings, when it looks like the rotor and axle’s been in the ocean for 3 years. Gotta love Craigs list.

You’ll be into it for $1500 real quick before you get an engine package. Also sometimes they have used karts down at Millville.

Check the Nicholson speedway and Oreville web sites sometimes there’s a good deal on there.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Matt Pfaffenbach
    Participant

Thanks again for the replies and info. The seller of that kart got back to me and it was sold…gotta love craigslist for having sold items on there for months. Glad I asked and did some research before I landed in a money pit.

I’m still on the hunt for a used kart

Jim Derrig
    Participant

I’m with Walt on this one.  That only track that thing should be on is a fast track to the scrap yard. A shifter is a fast, hairy and unforgiving beast that has to be on top condition to be run safely.  You’ll never get there with that POS.  Run an LO206 to get your feet wet.  Frankly, at 250lbs you’re probably never going to win anything anyway, even if you have Lewis Hamilton talent, so don’t worry about being underpowered.  Like I tell myself and all my oversized buds:  Remember those little guys we used to push around on the football field and take to the hoop in high school?  This sport is their revenge.

Tom Sabiel
    Participant

I have a 2 shifter karts without engines setups. 1 is new and the other is used about 8 times, located in northern nj. I need to get rid of these. Gold Kart 550 chassis.
    contact me
    201-914-4865, Tom

Matt Pfaffenbach
    Participant

Yeah I’m not looking to win championships but for a hobby of maintaining and rebuilding a kart and hitting the track in my free time and getting friends and family interested over time. Unfortunately I have expensive taste with hobbies but get bored very easily without the right equipment or the equipment I wanted.

Richard Gordon
    Participant

If you want good stuff but at a low price, I will also vote for the LO206. You can get a brand new, race ready Margay Ignite K3 for under $4k. Or find a used shifter kart rolling chassis that is 4-5 year old and buy a new engine kit for $750. They are fast enough to teach you driving skills and easy to maintain. I bought an 07 Italkart Elite that was race ready for $1100. Ended up having to buy new front end parts as everything was worn. Also had to make a new floor pan as there are no pans available for it anymore. I wouldn’t buy anything older than about 5 years because of the lack of parts, although most parts are pretty universal fit wise. You should be able to get a nice set up for well under $3000 and you might find a deal for around $1500 if your lucky. Lots of TaG karts around too for cheap. Not cheap to run though. The engines will last a lot longer than a KT100 which needs to be freshened pretty frequently compared to the TaG motors. The LO206 just needs the oil changed every race. Set the valve lash after break in and not much else to deal with once you have the carb adjuste. It has a sealed block and most every part on it is spec right down to the air filter and spark plug. It is the best bang for the buck and a great way to get started.

Dan Schlosser
    Participant

There should be plenty of used Yamaha packages around under $2500 Matt. Keep an eye out for a 32mm or 30/32mm kart to help carry the extra weight. Out that way they may run the Can exhaust but you can pick up a Senior Y Pipe exhaust package that really wakes the Yamaha up, particularly for an adult. Our local club (Pitt Race) has 15-20 drivers ranging from some flyweight guys to guys your size.

Run that for a season at least and pick up on all the little tips and tricks – with your background it’ll come to you very easily. Just need to experience the nuances first hand. After a season if you want to go faster then jump up to a TAG or Shifter.

Tim Hannen at OVRP, Kaos Kart Shop, Mike Doty Racing – a lot of good local guys up there.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication