Home Forums General Karting Discussion Do Karts with front brakes stop a lot quicker?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  J.C. Peterson 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

William Weiler
    Participant

I was wondering if shifter Karts can stop a lot quicker and if its harder to control.

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Masters Class
    Morgan Hill, CA

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Yes, and yes to both of your questions.

You do not want to get into a shifter kart yet, till you become really good in about 2 seasons at least.

Jack Cook
    Participant

Yes you can brake much deeper into a corner. They are adjustable front to back put to much front brake in can cause the rear to lift causing a loose condition. I know I have done it. it is not like a motocycle where most of the braking comes from the front brake.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

They can stop you so quick you can’t use it.

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

J.C. Peterson
    Participant

Stopping distances are noticeably shorter, but it will take some mental adjusting to be able to use the brakes to their full potential.

When the brakes are properly adjusted the kart will stop much straighter than with rear brakes only. The driving technique is different because of this, though. Instead of a rounded entry as with rear brakes only, the corner is more diamond-shaped (straighter under braking, sharper mid-corner, and straighter exit).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication