Home Forums General Karting Discussion Do karters ever sell their custom helmets?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Finch Guenther 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Rod Hawkins
    Participant

I have always really liked the custom painted F1 and CART helmets and thought it would be fun to have one. The problem is the cost of purchasing a new helmet and all the costs of having someone paint it, it goes way out of my budget.

As I have been following the SKUSA supernats this weekend I started to wonder if any of these guys sell their helmets as they go to a new or different design?  I would think they would keep some just for memories but after a while they might just sell some?  I have looked on eBay and on this sites classifieds and really can’t find anything.

Anyone happen to know?

TJ Koyen

Rod,

I don’t know of anyone who has sold a custom helmet. I think most, myself included, keep them for the memories and sentimental value. Even if the design were to change, the helmet paint job would still have been designed for that particular driver, making it “his” calling card. I’m not a fan of using someone else’s design.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
    Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
    www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
    www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

Kerry Matthews
    Participant

I’m on my 3rd, but you wouldn’t want to buy either of my 2 old ones.  I’ve flipped twice, and scraped them both up pretty badly.  Too bad, as the 2nd one was my favorite helmet.  I liked it better than the one that Mike Savage painted for me to replace it.

Eric Penaranda
    Participant

Rod, funny you should ask as I have been on the same mission for a while now. Custom painting is crazy expensive and then you add in the cost of the helmet itself. The painted helmets on ebay and craigslist are all junk or very odd.

I did however meet a guy at the track that went about getting a custom helmet by calling the paint shops and letting them know he was looking for a good buy. Turns out a shop just finished a helmet that the owner bailed on payment so he picked it up for a fraction of the cost. I have talked to a few shops and dropped my info in case one of these comes about, or even one that had a minor imperfection, we’ll see just have to be patient.

TJ Koyen

Actually now that you mention it Eric, that sort of thing does happen from time to time. I’ve never had anyone bail on me or not want the helmet after painting, but I have seen a few painters selling off pre-painted helmets for whatever reason.

I painted a few helmets for J3 Competition as display helmets for their shop a couple years ago and they ended up selling them to customers so stuff like that does happen from time to time. As  Eric said, maybe get in contact with some painters and see if they have any pre-painted helmets sitting around they’re trying to get rid of. I know that Patrice at Smart sometimes has some. http://www.smartracepaint.com

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
    Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
    www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
    www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

Rod Hawkins
    Participant

“I don’t know of anyone who has sold a custom helmet. I think most, myself included, keep them for the memories and sentimental value. Even if the design were to change, the helmet paint job would still have been designed for that particular driver, making it “his” calling card. I’m not a fan of using someone else’s design.”

TJ, While is some cases I agree with you, I also don’t totally agree.

If someone has a design or design features on their helmet that are extremely personal (tribute to a dead family member, or showing respect to a family or friend, childhood memories, etc….) those things would be off limits and I would imagine that those helmets would NEVER be up for sale.

At the same time, I know that a lot of people come in and give a few brief ideas regarding colors and design and let the artistic creativity of the painter take over and kind of do their own thing. I think this especially happens as a client and painter gain a longer relationship and trust. In this case, I wouldn’t say that the helmet would be “off limits” to sell. I am an avid surfer and have had several boards custom made and painted. The boards start out as extremely personal. After a while, it still is just a board and while it is easier to just sell a clear (no color/paint on the blank) I am not opposed to selling a colored board.

I also look at many of the helmets (mostly motorcycle) now that have graphics on them (remember they all used to be black, white or gray?) and think that an artist went through a lot of work that might be personal to them, but also has to be fairly neutral so it appeals to as many people as possible. This trend of having the graphics mass produced on helmets kind of took out the “taboo” of using someone elses ideas or designs (btw, how many pro F1 racers have “tribute helmets” to guys like Senna, Shumacher, etc…?).

I grew up riding dirt bikes and always wanted to have Troy Lee paint one of my helmets but never had the money. (Ironically, my bro was buddies with Jeff Ward and Jeff gave him one of his custom Troy Lee Design painted helmets, with Ward’s name on it and everything (kind of a cool item to have, but never use)).

So I figure in certain situations, buying someone elses custom painted helmet may not be such a “taboo” thing to do.

Finch Guenther
    Participant

Rod,

I haven’t seen to many custom helmets that aren’t personalized in some way. I don’t know about you but I wouldn’t wanna wear something with someone else’s name on it. If I were you I would save my money until I could afford something I really wanted.

Finch Guenther

#51 CRG KPV

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication