Home Forums Shifter Karts Debating between DD2 and stock Honda shifter

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Dennis DeYoung 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Dennis DeYoung
    Participant

Hello guys, I have decided to jump from TaG to maybe DD2 or Shifter kart. Educate me on both please. Im not a good mechanic so I usually have my friend help me with my kart. Give me pros and cons for both. I’d really appreciate the pro tips. Thanks guys.

Charles Skowron
    Participant

If those are your only two choices, then it’s a no-brainer: Shifter Kart.

Even if the DD2 is potentially less maintenance than a 125 shifter, and even if a you would only need to deal with 2 gears instead of the shifter’s 6, the DD2 is such an oddball class of kart here in the U.S., you could potentially run into problems such as finding other DD2 racers to compete with, and resale value of the kart if you want to sell it. The second point may be even more exacerbated, now that the importer of the DD2, Maxspeed, has just recently closed operations. That could also lead to parts availability problems in the future.

The DD2 is direct-drive instead of chain-driven, which every other racing kart out there is propelled by. While that may seem like a plus, there’s a disadvantage in that a DD2 requires a unique chassis different from every other kart class and chassis now racing.

David Cole
    Keymaster

HI Dennis,

I see you are a fellow Michigander. 100% with Stock Honda. You can race sprint tracks – Michiana Raceway Park, East Lansing, New Castle, Norway, etc. and road race courses like Grattan, Gingerman, MIS, Mid-Ohio, Blackhawk and others. There are maybe 50-100 DD2 in the entire US, where there are at least that in Stock Honda in the Great Lakes area.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor -
    FB Tweet Inst

Dennis DeYoung
    Participant

thanks guys for the reply. Ive decided to buy a stock honda shifter

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication