Home Forums Road Racing Daytona stories

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Ace Rossi 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Greg Wright
    Participant

OK it’s been a few days, would love to hear about other road racers week at the high banks.

Great weather, old friends, new friends, had fun, raced hard, had a little drinkie or two, brought home hardware both days.

Greg Wright
    Rapid Racing Inc.

"When in doubt Gas it, It won't help but it ends the suspense."

Ian Krueger
    Participant

every race always has a story to tell

2016 NHKA Yamaha Champ
    building a B Stock

Greg Wright
    Participant

Where is Brian Wilhelm and his account of the results of the “Arkansas Wind Tunnel” developed machine. Damn that thing is fast.

Greg Wright
    Rapid Racing Inc.

Brian Wilhelm
    Participant

Greg,

It was pretty fast in Unlimited II. The MyChron said 146.7 mph was my top speed for the week. That’s up a little more than 1 1/2 mph from my previous best of 145.1. Typical for Daytona, it wasn’t without a thrash! Something about that place wrecks normal tuning parameters. You almost are better off pitching your notes from previous years. Also like every year, we learned a lot. Small changes can yield solid gains. Like always, aero is huge there and we had a couple of changes to test.

This year saw a wild weather swing from the first race day to the second day. By some accounts, corrected altitude changed 4,000 ft overnight, making tuning a challenge. After a driver-induced motor failure in final practice before Unlimited II, good friend Mitch White urged me to throw his motor on and race it. Thrash again to get it on, and it was a rocket! Looking at the 19 drivers signed up for the race, it looked like about half the field had the speed to win. Both Harper’s, Randy Fulks, Darrin Cuthbertson, Scott Hodges, Johnny West, etc. In the end, it was RH III running fast in 2nd keeping me on the gas.

The big story in our garage was Daytona first-timer Allen Hollinger in another OWL laydown / SwedeTech Pavesi ride. Allen was able to pull off a 3rd place in Formula-125, and another fine 3rd in Unlimited II. We battled issues on Mitch White’s kart and never really got him up to the speed that we know that kart can run. Unfortunately, Mitch had to catch a flight home that kept him from running in Unlimited II.

As usual, we are already plotting what we’ll do different next year at Daytona!

Greg Wright
    Participant

Brian, thanks for the update. You were bad ass fast as always and you remain a class act.

All that Arkansas Wind Tunnel testing sure has paid off.

Greg Wright
    Rapid Racing Inc.

Walter Troup
    Participant

Yes Sir had may shorts on again the this year !

Race 1 IAME Sprint.  Led the first 2 laps, lost the draft finished 4 th.

Race 2                            First off the grid, entering the horse start to spin, saved it, mid corner, start to spin saved it, corner exit start to spin,  Spun, CRAP spun out of the lead.   But like the man in the movie said.  “I’ll be back”

Jeff

Ace Rossi
    Participant

Prepared the kart for my first time there and came down the week of with un upper respiratory infection. Doc induced meds didn’t clear it up in time of practice and grinding so I opted to have a friend run my kart not without issues of course.

First time out, I think the starter nut came off. No loctite!

Second time out, I think, rear gear broke from studs backing out of clutch.

Third time out, belt stripped!

Race! Ran the whole race and finished. Weighed and knowing we would be light (because my friend needs to eat more like do) were 8 pounds under weight.

But… learned a ton and will return next year god willing!

Prepping for Roebling now with a different motor/carb/clutch package. 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication