Home Forums Shifter Karts Daytona kart week

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Robert Lawson 5 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Mike Haymes
    Participant

<div id=”d4p-bbp-quote-13325″ style=”border: 0px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; text-align: left;”>
    <p style=”text-align: -webkit-auto;”><span style=”background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);”>Hello,</span></p>
    <p style=”border: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; vertical-align: baseline;”></p>
    <p style=”text-align: -webkit-auto; border: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; vertical-align: baseline;”><span style=”background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);”>I am a new owner of a shifter kart and live in Daytona Beach and am planning on attending kart week in December. I had a few questions I was hoping for some help on.</span></p>
    <p style=”text-align: -webkit-auto; border: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; vertical-align: baseline;”><span style=”background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);”>I’m looking for advise on gearing for the enduro shifter class. what size main drive and rear sprocket should I look into to be competitive?</span></p>
    <p style=”text-align: -webkit-auto; border: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; vertical-align: baseline;”><span style=”background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);”>I couldn’t find any of the rules on tire restrictions. is it open or is there a specific tire everyone runs?</span></p>
    <p style=”text-align: -webkit-auto; border: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; vertical-align: baseline;”><span style=”background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);”>If open any recomendations?</span></p>
    <p style=”text-align: -webkit-auto; border: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; vertical-align: baseline;”><span style=”background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);”>thak you for your help!</span></p>
    <p style=”text-align: -webkit-auto; border: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; vertical-align: baseline;”><span style=”background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);”>-Michael</span></p>
    <p style=”color: #444444; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 21px; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.292969); -webkit-composition-fill-color: rgba(175, 192, 227, 0.230469); -webkit-composition-frame-color: rgba(77, 128, 180, 0.230469); -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; background-color: #ffffff; text-align: -webkit-auto;”></p>

</div>

Mike Haymes
    Participant

Sorry don’t know what happened there. Looking for advise on sprocket an main drive  gearing information or recomendations on running the enduro stock honda 125 shifter at Daytona. Thank you

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Mike,

If its a CIK chassis, depending on your size etc., I would start at 19-22. If its a true “enduro” laydown I would start at 20-22.

What I have learned about Daytona is simply this: be patient! Start fat with jetting and overdrive your gearing (so to speak). Be aware of the time of day you are practicing compared to your race time, watch the forecast and pay attention to wind direction and speed.

A slight fellow may gear for a draft with little or no wind while a larger guy has no choice but to gear for any wind and watch rev if infact you get into a draft.

It’s the beauty and frustration of Daytona! Sea level, that damn wind, and the WOT!!!!

RPM

Mike Haymes
    Participant

Thanks Robert. I am new to the kart scene and have a lot to learn about jetting and gearing. I am a little in the heavier side at 200 lbs and Ann in a CIK chassis. Thank you for your advise I will use the 19-22 as a starting spot. Any tire recommendations? I was not able to find if WKA mandates a specific tire for stock honda 125 shifter. But if it is open, what do you suggest?

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Hey Mike,

Don’t think WKA has a RR tire rule. You’ll get opinions on tire brand and compound from other CIK guys here I’m sure.

Being a “laydown guy” guessing on a CIK set-up, I’d assume a softer compound for the road course (passing) because the oval will just be drafting. Weather will play a factor in that choice as well. Brand? All the major brands are pretty good but Hoosiers are made here the USA. I’ll be on Dunlops.

200#’s……I resemble that! Well, I’m a bit lighter but know the feeling. Make yourself small: elbows in, head down, knees together, feet low and out of the air flow, hand position, etc.

You’ll get some tips on tweak’s to the kart too. Rad and seat angle, fairing of choice, etc.

It’ll be a good time, you’ll like it.

RPM

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.