Home Forums Road Racing Daytona Kart Week

This topic contains 23 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Todd Brown 6 months ago.

• Author

Connor Kennard
    Participant

Hey all,

I am a newbie to the road racing side of things and need some help. I have a 125cc X30 non shifter kart built on a modified mid 2000s CRG chassis that I was contemplating entering in this year’s Daytona kart week. I am looking to see how many classes I am eligible for, what the track has looked like in previous years, and how the competition is. I would be driving quite a distance to do this and this would be my first race out with the kart. I am predominantly concerned about going down and not being anywhere near competitive due to my kart, and have not gotten a good gauge of where their kart quality stands. Would I be getting too in over my head or would I be right at home in the event.

Bob Cole
    Participant

Go on down and have some fun. You can race in Tag Heavy and IAME sprint. Your kart age shouldn’t harm you, mine is a 2007 and it still works great.

Clark Gaynor Sr.
    Participant

I wouldn’t hurt to join WKA and get your road race endorsement prior to going.  At the same time, contact WKA and get the current 2018 Tech Manual and go over everything pertaining to the two classes Bob mentioned.

Make sure you have all the pre race safety tech items covered before you go.  E.G. full width rear bumper, brake tether, every thing cotter pinned, safety wired, helmet Snell 2010 or newer, etc.

And also as Bob says..have fun!

Clark Sr.

Robert Lawson
    Participant

HEY!!!

Why No coverage from the BIG track????

Race Monitor lists the Sprint event from 28th-31st but NOTHING about the road racing???????

Robert Lawson
    Participant

OK…. I guess I’ll have to do it myself!

John West sent a pic (its on his on FB) of his MyChron with a lap time from practice today of 1:53.16 and a top speed of 147mph in his DEA/Anderson FE 250.

I’ll get more info about what is happening at the big track after Dinner.

edit: Had to get the make/model in there!!!!

PS: I stand corrected! Sometime between 10:30 am et and just now, there IS timing & scoring for the big track at Race Monitor. It’s not right but its there! At 7;47 pm et it sayes its “live” and is running????!!!!!

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Race Monitor is no help.

Is the RR on the listed schedule and it loads up, but thats all you get. As of 12:59 et, no live info, no practice times from the AM, no race results listed yet.

Last evening the RR coverage was extremely out of time, still running “live” well after 9pm and most of the drivers listed had no stats or laps.

Will have to call the guys at the track to find out whats happening!

Of course, the Sprint monitor is running just fine! (there have been more than 40 karts in the 3-4 classes I checked out!)

Nice job Race Monitor! (I hope WKA is not paying for that “service”)

Robert Lawson
    Participant

NOW its running, but very far off the schedule?

Unless it was raining, or wet, there is no explaination why the 2nd race of the day scheduled for aprox 11 am would have just started over at RM.

Just looked at the weather for DB and can see no rain. Cloudy, heavey cloud cover but no rain?

SO, if this holds true the rest of the day, there is a 2 hour delay to the “live” timing and scoring at Race monitor! That may work out good for guys that work outdoors up North here, since were all freezing and sitting at a Computer!!!

Good Luck, what a headache!

Roger
    Participant

I can’t believe how slow the race times/position are at updating. Fells like I’m an old phone modem! looking at the clocks (Timing and to go), race is less than 25 minutes long?

Update:

I just saw a post on Facebook from Greg Stamm that the Unlimited race has been shortened to 15 minutes!

Robert Lawson
    Participant

WOW!

I tried getting JW on the horn but all he said was “I’m busy man” and hung up!!!! :)

Robert Lawson
    Participant

PS: the 1st race Cadet 206 & Junior 206 has either not run or just not posted in the “results” yet.

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Larry tells me it sounds like it rained down there this AM.

He heard it on FB….. me no do FB!

So rain would explain things. Just a damn shame no one that “works” here could post info….. especially when the Sprint is up and running (rain tires).

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Well, they got the day “in” after cutting run time in all groups.

Just miserable “the air” today…. JW still ran a high 1:54 winning his shortened Unlimited race.

I appoligise for my impatients with the RM. I still would like someone official to post here so we do not need to guess whats happening.

This is Daytona, not M-O or Topeka….. Daytona. It IS a big deal.

PS: Congrats to Jason Lorang! 2X winner today (unofficial) and had entered 4X back-to-back-to-back-to back race #2-#5 Thats dedication!!!!

Brian Wilhelm
    Participant

Robert, Race Monitor seemed to be working fine for Mitch and Tony, maybe you had a slow connection?

Anyway, the tuning conditions were very strange in Daytona this year. The LOWEST humidity I saw on practice day was 78%, but the AD was 100-101 all day, with about 65deg almost all day. Even with these conditions, lap times were pretty good.

For Race Day #1, it never rained, it was just a super heavy mist that covered everything. Even with this delay, Robby and his crew did a good job of getting everyone all the track time they could. The races were shortened to about 1/2 time, plus a lap or two. For the F-125 race, I struggled with a bad plug cap that showed up on lap 2, but still pulled off the win. Temps were dropping as the day went on. For F-125 it was 55deg, for Unlimited I about 1 1/2 hour later it was 49 deg. In Unlimited I Johnny jumped out to the lead right away followed by Ron Miller and myself. Those guys were fast like 250’s should be! About 4 laps in, Ron’s motor quit and I got 2nd behind Johnny, and Allen Hollinger took 3rd.

Race Day #2 started cool but the clouds broke and it was sunny and 60deg at race time, and just beautiful. 60deg, 102 AD, 40% humidity. Johnny got another good start and jumped into the lead. There was carnage in turn one with several folks spinning, and Ron Miller passed me taking 2nd going into the first horseshoe. When Ron turned into the left turn going back out on the oval, he spun. As he was spinning, the kart spit him part way out and he flipped right in front of me! He jumped up and flipped the kart back over, but the red flag came out anyway. We lined back up and took the green again. Johnny got another good start and was P1, followed by Rick Fulks and myself. Johnny had some sort of problem and dropped out. Rick went on to win with a top speed of 157mph, and laps of 1:56. He had those 125cc motors cranking pretty good. I got second with a new personal best lap of 1:58.878, with a new best top speed of 147.0. Allen Hollinger took his second third place of the week. All in all, a pretty fine week at Daytona!

Eric Stockford
    Participant

does anyone know if the full race results are posted anywhere yet?

Eric

Greg Wright
    Participant

Results are posted on the WKA site.

Once again EKN has chosen to give zero attention to the Roadracing series at WKA KartWeek. C’mon David, have you really forgotten where you came from.

Greg Wright
    Rapid Racing Inc.
    Vintage B-Stock Pilot
    "When in doubt Gas it, It won't help but it ends the suspense."

Richie Hunt
    Participant

don’t waste your time with WKA races. we went down, thought we won the shifter class, was told we won the class in tech, found out the next day that the ‘race director’ decided we were 2nd and didn’t win. morons. i knew better than to spend money and time on a WKA race, and i can’t believe i fell for their crap and went. i’ve protested since with John Ferris, but he now hasn’t answered my email requesting an official answer as to why we don’t have a first place trophy.

Brian Wilhelm
    Participant

Richie, I’m not making the call if it was right or wrong what happened to you, but I believe that you have an hour from the time the results are posted to protest. After that hour the results are final. I believe it’s in the rule book.

The tech guys are provided the unofficial results only for use in determining who to tech. I learned the hard way at another org’s race that you need to keep checking scoring that day until the results from your race are posted to make certain you got scored correctly.

bo rougeou
    Participant

The “shifter class” referred to has three different body and weight configurations.  It is all spelled out in the rule book.

I was there, I didn’t see a problem.

Richie Hunt
    Participant

The driver who finished behind my son was able to pick up his second place trophy later that day. This proves the results were ‘official’. The racer who was awarded the ‘win’ sometime overnight was disqualified in tech. Because of that, we didn’t get a chance to protest him. That is crooked as can be. It was the next day we all found out about that change of results. Shady. Very shady. I wrote a letter of protest to John Ferris, and Lynn Haddock did investigative work prior to their meeting to discuss, and in his ‘investigating’ no one even called me to officially get my side. Although at their meeting, mr Harper told his side.

Richie Hunt
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I see why the WKA has such a terrible reputation. I was willing to give them a fair shake and hope their issues from the past were in the past. I’m still waiting for a response after 2 requests now.</p>

Greg Wright
    Participant

When you were discussing this on Facebook there were some things that didn’t make sense to me. Having looked at the MyLaps results it indicates that your son did not weigh in after the race. True or false?

Greg Wright
    Rapid Racing Inc.
    Vintage B-Stock Pilot
    "When in doubt Gas it, It won't help but it ends the suspense."

Richie Hunt
    Participant

False. Weighed in, passed, then went straight to tech.

Todd Brown
      Participant

Richie,

I’d suggest reading the rule book. There are a ton of things to learn for a noob. This makes its less embarrassing when you realize the only difference between you and the full body karts is 20 pounds. Well I hope your son decides to race with us again, it would be a shame to judge a situation when you don’t know the rules. Good Luck and maybe we’ll see you at AMP.

Eric Stockford
    Participant

Does anyone know the real reason WKA tossed Van Gilder and Jerry Cole from Daytona other than they promote AKRA?

I spoke to a couple of guys who were really upset that they tossed Gilder, he was there to help them with setup and tuning.

The guy I know said nothing went on that he saw, they just came up to him after practice, with security, and asked him to leave, and don’t come back.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.