Home Forums 250 Superkarts Daytona 2014

This topic contains 28 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Brian Wilhelm 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Bobby Butler
    Participant

Who will be coming to play with  Johnny West and Bobby Butler this year?  Hopefully some of you will come down and give us some help taking on the unlimited guys!  Always a blast and great to see a great gathering of friends and fast guys!

Brian Wilhelm
    Participant

Mitch and I will be there. Five and a half weeks to go!

Jim White
    Participant

I’m making the trip from NorCal. My IC/E won’t have anything for you guys with the twins but I’m looking to see green and checkered flags with a BIG smile on my face.

Bobby Butler
    Participant

Jim, it is not always out winning.  Sometimes it is about who has the most fun.

Sounds like you will be in the running for a good finish.

see you at the beach!

Johnny West
    Participant

Unless I am missing something. Are the twins now allowed to run in the unlimited class legally? I understood the unlimited was a Single cylinder 250 engine. The Twins had to run in the Twin local option class.
    I have another question. Will the option classes be a plaqe or a Cup like the other classes? I was told this has changed.

And the GAS GAS engine ran with the Twins. The Twins ran for 30 minutes. On the track at the same time as the Unlimited. We just camme in after 30 minutes. I am ok running for the 45 minutes against the Unlimited’s. Just need to know if I have to add a Xtra fuel tank.

West Racing
    Johnny West

Brandon Schenkel
    Participant

Johnny

Unlimited is a 30 min race, the 250 twins run at 490lbs

as per the wka manual, it says See USSK rules for detailed engine specs for 250 twin

-Brandon

B Stock ............................

IC/E 250 rookie

Chris Reinhardt
    Participant

That is odd including twins with a reference to another organization…  Honestly doesn’t make sense especially at Daytona….

There is no reference to Gas Gas motors being approved, and the spirit and intent is to use OEM cranks, cases, gearbox and cylinders…

CR

Chris Reinhardt

CR2 Motorsports

http://www.cr2motorsports.webs.com/

XV Racing Products

http://www.xvengineering.com/

­­

Brian Wilhelm
    Participant

Gas Gas engines have been allowed in WKA Unlimited for years. Jeff Metter has ran his with us many times.

Chris Reinhardt
    Participant

“Allowed”  is a strong word.   Nobody has protested it, might be more accurate…

CR

Chris Reinhardt

CR2 Motorsports

XV Racing Products

­­

Robert Lawson
    Participant

CR,

He did say allowed….but not “legal”. (nice job Brian! 🙂 )

Legal is the word of strength! 😉

You are correct, the GG is not….to letter of the classification, legal in Unltd.

With that said, Jeff and I had an epic tug-o-war last year. Good fun and without that my race would have been quite boring.

As for the twin 250’s, I think they did run in their own class as a LO. I believe Bobby had a 3 digit number on his kart (last year), we Unltds. all had double digits. Although…..I remember them actually being scored as Unltds a few years back.

Not going to make it this time, ya’ll have a safe week down there.

RPM

Chris Reinhardt
    Participant

Robert, “allowed” would imply that they have made an exception, they have not.  If you can run with them, and nobody says anything, god bless you, but if somebody speaks up, there’s nothing to stand on other than, “they have run before”.  That’s pretty thin…

What should happen is that either WKA creates a sub class and puts the twins in there, and that’s where the Gas Gas belongs, or they both get moved to a local option class….

There’s no way you can put a Gas Gas motor against the best CR250’s….

CR

Chris Reinhardt

CR2 Motorsports

XV Racing Products

­­

Brian Wilhelm
    Participant

IMO, Unlimited needs to be one class 300cc max. Different weights for different motor packages maybe. There is simply not enough entries to break it up vey much. The broad mix of karts is one of the cool things about Unlimited anyway. Good engineering and mechanical prep is going to finish in the top 5 most of the time anyway. No need to get rolling with the “you can’t run that here”.

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Guys,

I can understand and appreciate both opinions/points.

At Daytona, for a 125 laydown or B-Stk/Open, it really doesn’t matter. The laydown will make more MPH to offset the grunt & midrange speed of the GG on a SK. Now, take that to a Summit, Grattan, even M-O it becomes a “horsepower of a different color”! The CR250 will suffer at Daytona on the SK chassis but may be able to draft with a GG.

There are all types of different kart packages at different levels of performance and tune in Unltd. That’s what makes it so attractive. The “type” of Circuit then plays a crucial part into which package is best suited for each.

Personally, I’ve been WAXED by some CR 250’s when I was sure they had no business running that well!!!

One point I completely agree with is attention to prep. Many do not finish these races and if they did it might be far tougher to argue letting everything go.

Not knocking anyone here, but the best GG guys do run with the 250 Twins in a LO class. If they ran in Unltd it really wouldn’t be much of a race for them. Those guys want a challenging competitive race and the Twins provide that for them. Bobby might be able to comment here but I think the FE guys would agree with that.

For the most part, I think the average GG owner doesn’t realize it belongs in the FE/LO class. Unfortunately, the way things are set up, it would not or does not get policed until the fuel is spent…..does it? At that point it is viewed as sour grapes instead of the inquisition it is meant to be.

I’ll be watchin via Race Monitor. Good Luck fellas!!!!

RPM

Bobby Butler
    Participant

Come on Guys and Girls, bring your 250 cc go kart to Daytona and let’s race.  Be prepared , wear a big smile and get it on!

Roger Miller
    Participant

When we went out in 2011, Ryen ran the Superkart with the CR for both Saturday and Sunday, and picked up a 3rd and a 4th.  The 3rd was behind Brian Wilhelm I and BW II F125s, and the 4th was behind the same 2 plus a B-Stock – so not bad for a CR.  Fast laps were a 2:02.4 and a 2:03.4 – so fairly respectable.

Brian Wilhelm
    Participant

Jeff Metter turned a 2:02.6 with his GasGas, Miller went 2:02.4 with his CR. Looks like at Daytona anyway, it just doesn’t matter.

Johnny West
    Participant

Good feed back. So is the 250 twin LEGAL to run in the unlimited? I will be there to run and have a good time with the guys. It’s been a while since I been to Daytona. I was wondering if there was a change. I don’t think I got the answer yet.
    I’m sure it will be fun. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

West Racing
    Johnny West

Roger Miller
    Participant

The 2014 book – 312.2 – Unlimited 1 and 2 – 250cc twin cylinder @ 490 lbs and then it says see Note #7 which I can’t find.  Although in “Other” there is a #3 that says for twins to refer to USSK rules.

Roy Efstratiu
    Participant

Hi Guys. I plan to be @ Daytona running my RS 250.
    I think they missed the point to your question, John. 30 or 45 min race?
    Is there anyway that WKA would allow us to do a rolling start? It would definitely make for some cool pictures, and for a better race.

Bobby Butler
    Participant

I’m bringing a second superkart to Daytona as a back/up, for rent, for sale.  It’s a Anderson/CR Honda.  Motor is a  “0” Time engine built by Sid Swift and kart set up is proper.  Pictures available and for more info feel free to call me.  The more the merrier at Daytona.

For Rent. $500  a day.

For Sale $ 6750.  Or best cash offer  at Daytona.

Happy to see Racer Roy is gonna make the pilgrimage.

P.S.  Race starts at Daytona have always been LeMans style , the unlimited/ 250 Superkart run a 30 minute race with the unlimiteds gridded first followed by the L.O. 250 twins, then a second green flag for the 125’s.  The starting order for the first race has always been based upon your sign-up date  then the second race is determined by finish of race 1.

Cell (985)-381-6139

Brandon Schenkel
    Participant

Bobby

Dam I wish i saw your post last week 🙁 i would have taken you up on the rental offer to gain experience and knowledge

-brandon

B Stock ............................

IC/E 250 rookie

Bobby Butler
    Participant

Brandon we all had a great time.  You shoulda made it to the beach.

The kart was sold at the race and now has a new home in Florida.

Down to  2 Superkarts now.  Will sell as rollers or with PVP 251 engines.  Otherwise, I’ll see you at the beach in December 2015.

Happy New Year  Everyone !

Ian Harrison
    Participant

Hey Bobby,

I know you would have had a good time at Daytona, but I believe that you “done good” as well?
    Anyone got a link to results?

Cheers,

Ian 🙂

johnny brooks
    Participant

Monday race 5 / Tuesday race 4

http://www.dartkartclub.com/

Bobby Butler
    Participant

Always fun at Daytona Ian!  Especially if  all goes well engine wise.  The 251 PVP engines I purchased from you have served me well  as you know.

Johnny West’s DEA had ignition issues and retired during Mondays race. Randy Fulks in his super fast laydown and I had a back and forth race Tuesday which wore  this old guy a bunch.  Way to go Randy. Old Guys Rule !

Best wishes to you and Ms Dot for the New Year !

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication