Home Forums General Karting Discussion CRG Brake help – 2000-up and VEN 05 differences (pad replacement)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Dave Rosenthal 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Dave Rosenthal
    Participant

Greetings all,

Have a newbie question – I have a CRG road rebel (2002) shifter and it has the 2000-up system (rear axle has the two caliper system). My question is simple. I need to replace pads all around and would like to know if 2000-up is the same as VEN 05. I see them coupled together on a lot of shops websites when I am looking to buy pads, but I also see them separate. So, are they the same?

So, since you are here and can help me (thanks in advance), I need pads all around and believe the best way to go is OEM since I read they last longer but they are expensive. Is this a good approach? Also, when I do my brake job is there anything I need to replace as well, or issues I need to be aware of? I am pretty mechanical but have never done Kart brakes and videos are pretty hard to come by.

Thanks for your time!
    Dave

Eric Alexander
    Participant

CRG 2000-up rear calipers are the same as VEN05 front brake calipers.  So they do share the same pad design.  But be aware that the VEN05 rear calipers (and thus pads) are very different from the 2000-up.

I have two CRG karts with 2000-up rear braking systems and I prefer the Ferodo Kart Attack pads – for feel, longevity and price.  FWIW.

Replacement is really simple.  Remove the pad retaining clip and bolt, and pull the old pads out.  Press the pistons all the way back inside the caliper, and insert the new pads. I find removing the master cylinder cover(s) helps the pistons to retract easier.  As long as nothing leaks and the system is working well you’ll be fine.  I’d inspect the brake fluid at the time and flush the system if its dirty, or top it off if its low (after replacing the pads so that the pistons are reset).

Remember t0 replace the master cylinder covers before you pressurize the system with the pedal.  If you leave the covers off, the fluid will shoot out of the top.

Eric Stevens
    Participant

Ferodo Kart Attack are better in every way, better braking with less fade and the bonus of they last noticably longer than the Red OEM pads or even the Black OEM.

Dave Rosenthal
    Participant

Eric/Eric,

Thanks for the quick response! I will start my search on pads and if I have any additional questions will post again. I would have never known the difference on the V05 and 2000-up.

Thanks,
    Dave

Dave Rosenthal
    Participant

Guys, with your info my search is over – thanks again for the help! Brake pads will be shipping soon, and it sounds the like replacement is super easy based on your info – thanks again!

Looking forward to March in Indiana at NCMP!
    Dave

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication