Home Forums Shifter Karts CR80/85 Tech Talk

Tagged: 

This topic contains 41 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Gary Smith 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author

David McDowell
    Participant

Dave, They are contained in the standard IKF rule book. As far as I know you do not need a special book for shifter karts. You can order the rule book right from their web site.

Derek Lodato
    Participant

I posted this on the WTB classifieds but since you are my 80/85cc guys I figured I’d ask. I need a 32mm x 90mm engine mount for my CR85.

I have a 2011 GP10 32mm Shifter Chassis.

If you have an extra one to sell please PM me…. Thanks

shaun s noll
    Participant

did your other mount not fit?  I have several mounts that will work for you but you were going to check to see if the mount you have fit first.

Derek Lodato
    Participant

@ Shaun .. No it did not fit. I need specifically a 32mm x 90mm mount with a matching 32mm bottom clamp

I cannot deviate from this. Let me know if you have that EXACT size for a CR80/85 Engine.

Thanks Shaun

shaun s noll
    Participant

I definitely have one as 2 of my 80 shifter chassis are 32/32

Kyle Riedel
    Participant

heres a tech question. does the trans use the same gears in all year models? im looking at the 3rd gear set on shark shifter, but found it cheaper on another site. theres only one set on SS, but the other site’s saing it wont work in my 2001. they have it listed or 1982-1999 year models. ive only been in the class for a year now and i seem to remember when doing research last year, the gears are the same from ?’96 on?.

Gary Smith
    Participant

According to my service manual 1995-2007 CR80R/RB, the only difference is 5th and 6th gears in 2005- 2007 models.

I believe you are looking for the billet heavy duty 3rd gear, it should be the same in all years, make sure it is a 28 tooth gear and you should be O.K.

Gary

#55 Honda CR80

Kyle Riedel
    Participant

I know about the 3rd gear. But that’s not what I’m looking at. Shark shifter has a 3rd gear set that another site says is only used on 82-99 models. Which until yesterday I believed to have a 2001. I talked to Honda direct and they were able to tell me its a ’97. What Honda told me is that “set” (m3/4,c3,c6) was “superseded” in 2000 to individual gears sold seperately with new numbers. As far as learned last year the gears are the same from around 96-+. With all the confusion I’ve run into trying to find gears I no longer know for sure. I’m hoping someone here can sound off with some knowledge and list all the changes through the years after it changed to water cooled.     My project has been rather testy. Started out with a motor that was way worn out on top. Replaced top end and limped through last year. While I gathered parts. I put an OEM eq. Wiseco crank. Namura piston and a replated cylinder on it this winter. but still had one plague after. going into 4th gear it would chatter and rev like it was going in and out of gear.

Gary Smith
    Participant

Kyle,

Call John at Fastech Racing, he should be able to help you out.

831-384-5278

Gary

#55 Honda CR80

Derek Lodato
    Participant

If anybody is in the market for a Brand New CR85 Alden Built with break in time only please text me at 813-504-0192 or email to DLODATO7@yahoo.com

$795 Shipped

It comes with:

Extra Cylinder Head

Silencer (Mounts for Pipe and Silencer are included)

3rd Gear Upgrade

IGN Box

Mikuni Pump Around Carb

This ad  is already posted in Classifieds but it’s been a few weeks so it’s out of the spotlight

Thanks,

Derek

Dave Holstein
    Participant

What year were the Speed Concepts SPI ignition boxes discontinued?

Dave Holstein
    Participant

Also, where can one get the upgraded third gear for the CR80?

Kyle Riedel
    Participant

Its gonna be hard now. You may have to figure it out and find a machine shop. A local racer told me about a month ago that the guy who made them passed away. I’m not sure how true this is, but it explains why sharkshifter is out of them.

Fred Robertson
    Participant

Can anyone recommend a good gear/clutch fluid?  I got my 80 out for the first time over the weekend, but am experiencing some severe clutch slip in 4/5/6 gear when the motor hits the powerband of the pipe.  It holds fine in the lower gears.  It is properly adjusted with the cable being as loose as possible without the button coming out of the lever on the transmission when fully released.  There is about 1″ of freeplay in the lever on the wheel.  I am using Redline motorcycle gear lube currently which says it is wet clutch and Honda transmission compatible.  Could the fluid be causing the slip?

Kyle Riedel
    Participant

No the fluid should not be causing that. Not if its made for tranny. I believe I have like a standard 5/10w in mine. Also don’t put too much in. Sounds like the clutch spring are weak.

Update: I have got all the bugs work out of my motor! has been running good until this week when I broke a piston ring on main start.

Dave Holstein
    Participant

I use RedLine motorcycle trans lube with shockproof, makes shifting way smoother.

I would recommend taking the clutch cover off and inspecting the clutch pack, the symptoms you describe doesn’t sound like fluid related to me…

Gary Smith
    Participant

Fred,

Inspect the clutch pack, check for warpage of steel plates, no more than .15mm (.006 inch) and check for friction disc thickness 2.7mm min (.107 inch). If all your plates are within spec, take a wire brush to the surface of the friction discs to rough them up, it has worked for me when I had the same problem.

Gary

#55 Honda CR80

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.