Home Forums 250 Superkarts CR250 On Sprint Chassis

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  nigel cooper 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Steven Ferrario
    Participant

Hi Guys, Interested in building up one of my shifter karts with a CR250 to  just to go have fun with.  First question, I found a 2003 motor, are there any issues I should not about with that year motor? Second question, suggestions on where to get a pipe & what kind..Again, very doubtful that I will be doing any road racing with this package. Most preferred carb setup?

Any other tidbits of information will be greatly appreciated.

Mike Gent
    Participant

I have the parts you need  http://www.sharkshifter.com/zc     cr 250 pipes / mounts /  carbs  give mike a call can help on your questions   503-538-1325

Benn Herr
    Participant

Steven,

The pipe the Shark Shifter folks sell will work fine, we’ve used it on ours. The 2003 engine fits in the earlier mount but it makes the carb sit at a slightly steeper angle.  The 2002 and 2003 engines have an electric power valve that you can disconnect and put stop screws in the cable holes to hold it open. You’ll never drive below the speed where it works anyway. You will need to keep all the electronic boxes on it so the ignition will work. Don’t worry about porting it. We have one that is and one that is stock. The modified one is faster but the stock one ends up nearly as fast and is way easier on parts and to drive. All the carb things that work for a 125 Honda will work on the 250 – except that you can go bigger. Ours runs fine on a 38mm but LIKES the 41mm. Fills the top part of the power band in nicely. Keep the rpm to 10,000 or below and it will have a long and happy life. Best part of the power curve is 8000 to 9500 anyway. Gear for about 10 mph higher than what the fast 125’s are doing for starters. The hardest thing will be is to keep your self from driving it like a 125. You’ll just burn the tires off of it and go barely faster than a 125. Baby it off the corners is the fast way. Another last thing to look out for is vibration. They shake differently than other kart engines (harder and at different speeds) so you’ll find that different stuff falls off. Keep close track on all the nuts and bolts until you figure out what’s what.

The last thing is I would reconsider not Road Racing it, they do great! Enough power to really go and enough room to “stretch its legs”. It’s a blast!

Here’s an example. Not our best effort.

Brian Degulis
    Participant

Anyone know how a stock CRF450 compares to a stock CR250?

Brian

Steven Ferrario
    Participant

Hey Benn,

Thanks for the tips & cool video…I do miss running at The Streets…

Would you be able to point me in the direction of a relative gear ratio for a sprint track..Lets say I am at Santa Maria & running my TM icc with a 1.48 ratio…Approx 250 gearing? While I’m thinking of counter shaft gears…what would you recommend for a variety just in case I want to run Laguna, ButtonWillow, Big Willow…

I will probably have a few more questions once I get the package bolted up…Many thanks again..

Actually, a quick radiator question…How big? I have a  large Champion & shockwave for my icc, but I do have a midsize Champion…How much cooling do they need in a sprint setup. Running 120-130 ok?

nigel cooper
    Participant

if you have not, check out the link in this forum “All things CR250″ and the Classic forum archive.Very helpful and interesting.There are a couple of excellent posts by Ian Harrison of Viper Racing regarding your topic-spark plug choice,needle/seat,powervalve ect.

Something to consider is how you will be starting the engine.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.