Home Forums Shifter Karts CR125 Fuel – Pump Gas?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Evan 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Evan
    Participant

I’ve been running VP 110 octane fuel in my stock CR125. I’ve heard some people run 93-98 octane pump gas.

Is it safe to use 93 octane pump gas in a stock CR?

James McMahon
    Participant

I would avoid running “pump” gas as it’s consistency and composition is nowhere near as tight as racing fuel. Consistency is actually the main reason racing fuels exist. The ethanol content in many pump fuels causes water to be absorbed too.  Non oxy is another option, but usually they are a MON in the late 80′s
    Cylinder pressures and temps with a stocker can be pretty high with a kart pipe so tread carefully. For hard running, IMO MON 96 is a low as I think you should go, even at that people are detonating their ’01 cylinders. In that case VP V12 or 110 like you are using would be best. The leaded fuels are extra kind to the inside of the motor too.

Short answer, when you can. run a leaded racing fuel for maximum longevity and reliability. In the long run it’s cheaper than a piston and a wasted day at the track.

JHHO

Evan
    Participant

Thanks James! That’s the answer I had expected. I’ll keep running the VP 110. Easy to get here in Charlotte, NC!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.