Home Forums 2-Cycle Racing CR125 Build Questions

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  John Lafakis 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

John Lafakis
    Participant

I’m rebuilding a 99 CR125 and had a question regarding the HPP power valve actuator rod.  I noticed that some engines may have this removed.  Do I need to remove this rod for karting? Also, if I remove the rod do I need to plug the hole?  Pics would be appreciated as I’m having trouble finding any online and I’ve read of plugs made for this purpose.

Also, what’s the best cylinder hone to use on these, and what should the final measurements be on the cylinder?  The piston overheated and left ring material on the cylinder and I’m trying to salvage it with a hone before I succumb to buying a new cylinder.  Rest of the cylinder is fine with no scoring or cracks as far as I can tell.

Thank you for any help!

johnny brooks
    Participant

Start here:

http://www.metal-matrix.com/stockmoto/index.html

Here’s a follow up to above:

http://metal-matrix.com/cr125-rebuild/index.html

Ask your ‘hone’ question in the ‘shifter kart’ thread…’nikasil’ cylinders require careful attention.

John Lafakis
    Participant

Thanks, I’ve seen those before and they are very helpful, but it only briefly covers the removal of the actuator rod.  I’m assuming this is left out for kart racing since all the built engines I have seen are removed.  since the cylinder is in need of repair as it sits I’ll just hit it with a standard hone and hope for the best.  If it ends up going out of spec I’ll just buy a new cylinder or have it sleeved.

Greg Wright
    Participant

Don’t have the cylinder sleeved. There are a number companies such as Millenium Technologies that do a bang up job of refinishing the bore.

John Lafakis
    Participant

I ordered the proper hone for the cylinder, I’ll see if it can be touched up.  If. The hone doesn’t work then I’ll call millenium like you recommended.

Thank you for the help

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.