Home Forums General Karting Discussion Couple questions on gear wear from racing

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  TJ Koyen 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

William Weiler
    Participant

The seat bolts are wearing holes in the rib protector. There are counter sunk style plastic washers on the bolts heads, so that’s not the problem. I covered the rib vest and bolts with gorilla tape, but the tape wore through in one race. What do people cover these with? The other thing is when I was fumbling for my engine off button, the pipe quickly melting a hole through my suit elbow. Again, gorilla tape, but I would like the hole fixed so it is abrasion resistant again because this is right on the elbow would hit the track in a crash. Can this be done somehow?

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Morgan Hill, CA

tony zambos
    Participant

When getting burnt was an issue, my driver used these Kevlar sleeves from Pegasus Racing, https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=1184.
    Pegasus also have Nomex suit repair material.

No ideas with the seat bolts. We don’t cover them and have no problems. Are you possibly moving around too much in the seat?

LAD Specialties / tony kart / rotax / kt100

William Weiler
    Participant

I found something called Tear-aid for repairing Nylon (my suit is Cordura). This seat though is a mystery. My builder put a XL Tillet in but it is too large, but it presses against my rib vest in places. The hips are way too big and the seat seemed comfortable at first, but now it feels uncomfortable. I could buy seat pads and see if that fixes it, or I could buy the smaller L seat and try that.

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Morgan Hill, CA

TJ Koyen

I would grab some padding first to see if that could be a cheaper easier fix. I like to cut up the interlocking foam mats from Walmart/Target and tape those into the seat.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
    Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
    www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
    www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication