Home Forums Autocross / Solo 2 Clutch Springs

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Christian Hubbell 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Brian Regganie
    Participant

My daughter autocrosses a 125 shifter. What are most people using for clutch springs, stock or race. Is clutch actuation any smoother with stock springs when having to repeatedly stop and start in grid.

Robbie Nelson
    Participant

I’ve always used OE (original equipment / stock) springs.  Seems to work fine for me on grid and on course.  Can you expand on your smoothness question?  Why type of fluid are you using in the gear case?  No binding in the cable?

Robbie Nelson

Scott Boito
    Participant

I don’t know that anyone is using aftermarket/race springs in their Hondas.  Stock springs are great and durable.

Definitely check the smoothness of the clutch cable as Robbie said.  I also found that changing to the Royal Purple gear oil improved my shifting smoothness and quickness a bunch.  At Blytheville on the practice course last year I and everyone watching thought my motor wasn’t shifting.  Turned out that the new oil made it so much faster than it had been with the SynchroMesh I had before.  Only Royal Purple for me now.

Robbie Nelson
    Participant

Only Royal Purple for me now.

I run Mobil1 10W40 High Mileage.  I tried a Valvoline 10W40 non-synthetic.  I missed shifts quite frequently with it.  Mobil1 seems to work well.  Anyone else running motor oil?

Back on subject…  I had a stubborn clutch for several years and couldn’t figure out why.  I eventually found that the actuator rod that goes through the engine was short by maybe half a centimeter.  I have no idea why it was short.  Did a previous owner modify it?  Was it from the wrong model year?  Was it worn?  Regardless, I replaced it with a proper length rod and it’s buttery smooth now.

Robbie Nelson

Brian Regganie
    Participant

Its hard to be smooth when engaging the clutch. I found and replaced a cable that was dragging.  The oil  that has been used is RedLine light Shock Proof Gear Oil. Currently race springs are installed.

Scott Boito
    Participant

She (and you) should be able to slip the clutch at least a little.  It sounds like it’s engaging like a TM ICC motor does.

I’ll assume that there’s nothing physically interfering with it next to the seat or a bend in the cable housing itself entering the case.  If it’s not the cable or something interfering with it physically, it might be time to dig inside the case to see what the actuator assembly looks like.  If everything is in order, the pull of the cable should be almost buttery smooth.

Brian Regganie
    Participant

I believe most of the problem was probably the cable which I’ve changed. What are people using for transmission oil? The Honda dealer says they use Honda 80/90 Transmission Oil in their race bikes.

Scott Boito
    Participant

Gear oil discussion above: Royal Purple Synchromax for me.  Robbie is using Mobil1 10W40 High Mileage.  I tried the Pennzoil Synchromesh and it was not very good.  Amsoil makes a good Synchromesh, too.  Just about any thin oil will work.  Not gear oil.

Brian Regganie
    Participant

Thanks for all the advice Scott and Robbie.
    I’ll be changing to stock springs and a different oil.

Christian Hubbell
    Participant

Honda makes a recommended trans oil that is available at most Honda powersports dealers.  http://www.extremegokarts.com/honda-hp-trans-oil-p-1121.html?cPath=4_3_30

I’ve run Motul trans fluid without much noticable difference.

Two things though:

1. The clutch cable should have a bit of slack in it since most kart handles can pull the cable too far and the plates of the clutch can be pushed out of the basket.  Ask me how I know, kerblamo.  I adjust it so when the handle is fully squeezed the plates have just barely disengaged.

2. Use the stock springs, I think the rules even say the clutch has to be stock.  Make sute the revs are staying up, I try to slip the tires more than the clutch when possible.  Stand on the gas and let the clutch out over half a second or less.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication