Home Forums Road Racing Clutch setting

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Christopher Ragan 15 hours, 42 minutes ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Ace Rossi
    Participant

I’m having a discussion with a fellow racer about the proper way to set an axle clutch like the horstman and SMC.

His theory is different than mine so I wanted to ask those of you that would share your opinion/s on the proper way to set the clutch. Not the initial setup but the lock up or stall.

Thanks

Ric mcDade
    Participant

Ace, I hope I’m understanding the question right. Your looking for how, or maybe where you set your engagement? There are a lot of people a lot smarter than I, but here’s my routine. In the pits, I fire it up, make sure its warm, bump the clutch a couple of times, with the brake on, to get it warmed up, and then let the brake off, and hammer it. I take notice of the RPM engagement, let off the gas, and then while rolling, hammer it again. Again, making a mental note of engagement. Knowing the RPM range I think I want, if for some reason, I am way off, I make the adjustment in the pits, before I ever hit the track. The first lap or two, I am checking temps more than anything. I can feel if the clutch is way off. Then, I pick the hardest/slowest corner on the track, and pay good attention to where my clutch is slipping coming out of it. I always set my clutch in the hardest/slowest corner of the track. Then obviously take it to the pits, and make any necessary adjustments. I’m not sure you can get a perfect reading in the pits, and I think the only true reading you can get, is when you have the kart bound up the most, as in the tightest corner of the track. Can’t say I’m right, but I don’t remember ever seeing anyone do it any different.

Kelly Read
    Participant

If this is the question, Ric pretty much hit it on the head!! Glad I taught him well!!! LOL

Getting it close in the pits keeps you from over/under slipping it to much once you hit the track. With this, on track is the true final setting as this is where everything gets up to temp.

As for where to set the clutch engagement, most generally it is within 200RPM of the max torque of the motor.

Ric mcDade
    Participant

Kelly would be one of those “people smarter than I”. Knowing him like I do, there is something to be asked about the “pretty much” statement, and he’s not offering. What did I miss?

Kelly Read
    Participant

CARB!!!!

If it isn’t right, clutch won’t be right either.  Clutch is like a dummy (not you Ric)!!!  Clutch only puts the amount of power to the axle as the carb and motor puts to the clutch. I proved this to a competitor at Afton a few weeks back.

You all keep this up and you will have ALL my SECRETS!!! LOL

Christopher Ragan
    Participant

umm hello

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication