Home Forums Tech Talk Clutch Lever and Clutch Cable Assembly – WHAT THE HELL – 2007 Birel Shifter

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  FREDDY SANDOVAL 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Wes Hudg
    Participant

Having a hell of a time trying to figure out how this cable mounts to the lever.  I bought this Kart and the seller disassembled the cable assembly from the clutch lever and also removed the steering wheel while shipping the kart to me.  For the life of me I cannot see to figure out how it goes back together.  Tried posting photos but they wouldn’t post for whatever reason.

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Wes

Post a few pictures to my email address, I’ll show you how to do it

FASTRACERFREDDY@AOL.COM

Wes Hudg
    Participant

Thanks Freddy. Pics sent

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Wes
    Did you get it to work?
    Hopefully I helped more than I confused you?
    If not, shoot me an email, we can keep on trying till we get it done.
    Fast Freddy. 😉

Wes Hudg
    Participant

Freddy,

Thanks again.  What you said made sense and I understood clearly.  I was unable to get it to work.  Just a weird setup I suppose.  I will get it over the local kart shop to see what they come up with.  I’m also going to the SKUSA race this weekend in Vegas, so I will look at some of the Birel Karts or other karts with my setup or similar – ideas I can see visually.  If I come up with anything before the weekend I’ll shoot you another email.  Thanks again for taking time to try and help.  It totally sucks I put the kart together out of a small crate, then unable to finish it off with such a simple cable/lever issue.

Wes

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

It’s all good, buddy. Check the cable (internally) they do go bad and get rusty and start binding

A new cable may be all you need, but please check your clutch lever operation as well

I saw another kart with the same set up as yours, and it totally goes through the steering wheel

The end of the cable came to the surface and had a cable clamp, with the excess  left over cable zip tied to one spoke of the steering wheel.

Honestly I don’t think the newer karts you’ll see in Vegas may have this set up, but I could be wrong.

Here’s a link to that kart, check out the steering wheel on the right side bellow the Mychron

http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/ddragoi/library/2008%20Sodi%20Kart%20Stock%20Honda%20Shifter?sort=3&page=1

Wes Hudg
    Participant

Freddy,

Thanks. Yeah, I figured the newer karts wouldn’t have a similar setup, but you never know.

I couldn’t see or tell anything from the link with pics you posted.  I would like to see under the steering wheel area and how that cable is routed and clamped down, etc.

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Wes
    It’s really easy
    Just feed the cable through the bottom of the clutch handle, stick it through the steering wheel and tighten the end of the cable stopper ( clamp )
    And be done with it.

The guy that sold it to you may have re assemble the cable to keep pieces from getting lost.

It’s not that hard, this is a reverse cable system, where the clutch handle pulls the cable housing away from the steering wheel ( away from the clamp end )
    Just adjust it at your desired pull and go play. 😉

P.S. The cable most likely goes though the hub and steering wheel at the same hole. You’ll get it. Don’t make me travel all the way to Arizona. 🙂

Wes Hudg
    Participant

LOL!  Thanks, I will go out in the garage and try it.  The hard part about all this is I am really a mechanically inclined person, so its just got me boggled………..UGH!!!!! I’ll report back once I;m done.  Thank you.

Wes Hudg
    Participant

FREDDY,

Sorry for the delay.  Just remembered to report back.  I got it figured out, thanks to you!  Thanks again.  Now I just need to get it out on the track!

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Awesome, Wes!

I’m glad you got it to work!

Happy new year, enjoy and be safe.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication