Home Forums Road Racing Circuit of the Americas 2014

This topic contains 183 replies, has 55 voices, and was last updated by  Jason Santander 6 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 184 total)
  • Author

johnny brooks
    Participant

Sorry, I don’t get it.

Sprint racing is usually on tracks from just under 1/2 mile to just over 1 mile.

Road racing is usually 1.5 mile to 4 miles (RA days). Karts have been running long courses for a very long time. The original VIR kart races were 3.27 miles until it closed in 1974. Upon its revival karts have run the 2.25 mile North course, the 3.27 mile original Full course, and Bernie even ran an event on the 4.2 mile Grand course. We used to run the 3.5 mile long course at Watkins Glen. That’s what Kart Road Racing is all about…being able to run the same big courses as the cars and bikes (at a fraction of the cost!).

To be able to run a modern, state of the art F1 track will be a dream come true.

Fingers still crossed.

James McMahon
    Participant

I think Keith’s point is about the long, long straights that shift the empahsis from cornering to drafting skill. Example, Road America.

A while back I started making a video for COTA. Need to dig up the source files, in the meantime all I have for now is a couple of short hand-shot vids:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5O3efMkqXjzd2ZGWl9BT25IS28/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5O3efMkqXjzWDltSlhWbVJfN2M/edit?usp=sharing

If I get more time I’ll make a decent one, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say the total lack of information and communication on this is pi$$ing me off to the point of saying ***k it, I couldn’t be bothered.

Ray Chiappe
    Participant

Bernie posts on Facebook!

Mike Arnold
    Participant

Is there any update on discussions with COTA  or any update?

Mike

Sam Zavaglia
    Participant

I spoke to Bernie late last week and in my discussions actually asked him about this.

It’s not my business to comment but he said that a proposal has now been put forward and he is awaiting the response on whether they say YES or NO to it.

It sounds like it is very formal in the way things happen in their processes etc, they consider much more to this then to just simply hire the black stuff on this track.

So if the response from COTA is positive and your interested, my recommendation is to jump to it. Don’t complain about little things on offer cause it sounds way too hard and costly for any karting promoter to do this it all again.

Austin Garrett
    Participant

Just an idea, but why not try to be a support race for moto gp or some other event already going on? It would bring a different audience to karts. It would have to be exclusive to only a couple classes. Could run stock shifters and mod shifters together but start them at different times . Run tag and jr and sr together starting at different times as well.  This would reduce cost, add publicity, hopefully gain some interest in a full blown kart gp in the future but most of all prove karts can put on a show at cota….

in relation to cost. This year to run lone star gran prix at Lockhart is going to cost me over $400 just to get on the track! $175 entry fee (going up monthly) $212 mandatory tire bill, $30 transponder rental, $15 pit pass, mandatory oil buying from track, not including fuel to get to track or food and drinks.

Not saying lsgp is a bad event (its a great event actually) but when monies are ran at the end of the day I’d much rather spend $400 to race cota then Lockhart tx….

with a proper plan there is no reason not to race the circuit.

Colm O’Higgins
    Participant

Austin, admirable suggestions.

I have attempted to piggy-back on motorcycle and vintage car events at Mosport (CTMP now).  But they do not have the track time available, now anyway.   Plus they do not appreciate big track racekarts as we do, either.

But keep knocking on those doors.

Lyle Clark
    Participant

Austin, no matter where you run, you will probably run new tires, probably buy fuel, oil and pit passes. So I see those as a wash? Transponder, why not already have purchased one since they are used everywhere, and save the rental fees?

Austin Garrett
    Participant

It’s the fact that’s its mandatory to buy a new set of tires. Luckily it’s the beginning of the season and I need tires anyways. I run on a shoe string budget. $400 isn’t chump change in today’s economy. I’ll agree on transponder, fuel, and oil. However if you wait until the day of race to register its $300.  That’s a bit much. All I’m saying is when prices are compared I’d much rather race at a f1 supertrack then a street race.  I don’t see the entry fee for COTA (if it ever happened) exceeding $400.

Just a hypothetical. What if the LSGP gets weather? Everyone has already purchased the mandatory tires but we would still be racing on pre purchased rain tires. It’s apples to oranges really and I’ll still be at the lsgp. But with as many people paying to race that I think it’s very do-able to race at COTA. That is the only point I was trying to make.

James McMahon
    Participant

Not everyone buys new tires for their racing. Not everyone runs the same oil, or wants to run a spec fuel. Its not a wash for everyone.

Best I know is that this race’s fate is in the hands of the COTA board.

Michael Rutter
    Participant

Will there be TaG’s at the COTA race?

James McMahon
    Participant

I would say so. From memory I think there has been TaG as well as Stock Leopard. If there’s a demand, Bernie will find a way to get them racing.

Brian Wilhelm
    Participant

Can someone remind me what the proposed date for COTA is?

Ray Chiappe
    Participant

I would like to see a proposed date for a Post by a race official!

Debbie Kuntze
    Participant

Original proposed dates were the 12th and 13th of July-no clue if that is changing at this point

Mark Morrison
    Participant

Why is it everybody else is talking but the man that started this topic, It would be nice to have a post from him stating the status of the event. With him not posting a thing looks like a hit and run to me. My 2014 yr is planned with out COTA.

Austin Garrett
    Participant

Cota is dead in the water for 2014 unless its a late season race. However, that doesn’t change the fact that there needs to be some kind of work being done NOW for 2015.

Realistically it probably won’t happen for another 5 years. After the novelty of this track wears out and interest dies down a bit. Cota is charging premium prices just to practice.

Although I would love to race here. Its just not going to happen, short of wka or a major sponsor driven organization getting behind it. Until someone legitimate steps up with some news I’m putting my aero body back in storage.

Ray Chiappe
    Participant

Race Promoters, you are losing possible entries with no progress reports on this race. Good or bad you should post something??

David Cole
    Keymaster

My guess is nothing will happen in 2014. I haven’t confirmed or denied, but with the current status unsure, I think we could maybe start planning for something in 2015.

My suggestion, support your local Road Racing club for 2014. That should be in your plans.

Jason Santander
    Participant

You guys can’t really expect any legitimate info on this thread, it is not the original thread started by the race promoter. The pursuit for a 2014 COTA event actually ENDED months ago.  The question is not about the interest for an event at this track but WHO will put it on. The next person I would suggest you folks talk to is Tom Kutcher. He is the next person who has experience/resource/ SKUSA to put on a huge event at COTA.

Kerry Matthews
    Participant

You guys can’t really expect any legitimate info on this thread, it is not the original thread started by the race promoter. The pursuit for a 2014 COTA event actually ENDED months ago. The question is not about the interest for an event at this track but WHO will put it on. The next person I would suggest you folks talk to is Tom Kutcher. He is the next person who has experience/resource/ SKUSA to put on a huge event at COTA.

And have to run spec tires, etc.?  We’d probably all have to use spec sun tan lotion too.  No thanks…

Brian Wilhelm
    Participant

The SKUSA model doesn’t really fit the road racing world. Besides, SKUSA would have zero motivation for such an event.

Mike Arnold
    Participant

Anyone know why COTA would not approve the kart race in July?<span style=”color: #000000; font-family: UICTFontTextStyleBody; font-size: 17px; line-height: normal; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;”>
    </span>

mike

Brian Wilhelm
    Participant

How do you know it was presented? Or wasn’t approved? Or???

Mike Arnold
    Participant

Brian,

I don’t for sure know anything other than what was posted here:

<span style=”font-size: small;”>USKGP is talking with COTA about the possibiliities of a race date in 2014 at Circuit of Americas and it would be a 2 day race weekend. </span>

I just assume that COTA rejected or never got back to Bernie as Bernie never asked or posted anything more about getting our money for deposit.   It maybe that Bernie never saw that there was enough interest to pursue it further.   That is part of my reason to post was to find out where the proposal ended.  If COTA rejected then there is not much use in pursuing again.  But if not maybe Bernie or another promoter may want to try it.

Mike

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 184 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.