Home Forums Road Racing Circuit of the Americas 2014

This topic contains 183 replies, has 55 voices, and was last updated by  Jason Santander 6 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 184 total)
  • Author

Philip Davis
    Participant

Sign me up for Stock Honda! I think I can get 3-5 more to attend for Stock Honda, that are not on the list. It will be the highlight of the 2014 season.

When and where will the details be posted, Facebook and or web site, EKN? Who is the main contact for the event?

Sam Zavaglia
    Participant

The Stock Honda numbers at this event is going to be totally bad ass! I’d say numbers in all other classes are going to be memorable as well.

I hope this event gets the green light, certainly something that USA karting needs to get the passion flowing again.

It’s up to you guys submitting your deposit checks when the green one ready for it.

Jason Lorang
    Participant

You guys can sign me up for any Enduro class you have!! I can run Yamaha Pipe or a Reed Class… I can bring at least 1 other Enduro and Driver.

I will also run the Stock Honda class… Will gladly make the trip from Michigan and endure the Heat. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity as far as I am concerned!!

Beck Duggleby
    Participant
    1. Jimmy McNeil
    2. Randy Pierson
    3. Clark Gaynor Jr
    4. Joseph Hollinger
    5. Jeff DeMello
    6. Juan Jaramillo
    7. Kerry Matthews
    8. Todd Kageals
    9. Bill Pyles
    10. Mark Nagy
    11. Rodney Davies
    12. Jason Campbell
    13. Shawn Warner
    14. Rich Stokes
    15. Chris Hegar
    16. Ryan Hegar
    17. Rob Hegar
    18. Rob Miller
    19. Bill Cox
    20. Tyrone Johnson
    21. Stephen Lamana
    22. Nicholas McClure
    23. Sam Zavaglia?
    24. Mike Wayne?
    25. Ray Chiappe
    26. Beck Duggleby
    27. Philip Davis
    28. Jason Lorang
    29. Gino Giannopoulos
    30. John Paternostro

That’s the updated Stock Honda list. And Sam, do you happen to be Sam Bocchino? ;)

We’re at 30 entries for Stock Honda alone (that ties the USKGP entry numbers at Miller) and we’re still an entire year away. I wouldn’t be surprised if we made it 70-80 by the time it is said and done… it’s like Road America shifter kart racing all over again, except right in my backyard! ;)

I also expect we’ll see some guys from the sprint racing community come over to join as well… maybe some of the guys competing in Vegas? Also, I’m sure we’ll get more from the NCK. Is that you, Erik Maxfield and Ryen Miller? ;)

It should be epic. :)

Kerry Matthews
    Participant

NCK has a race @ Thunderhill Raceway Park on Friday.  I’m sure this will be brought up at the driver’s meeting to make sure all are aware of this event.

Chris Hegar
    Participant

Stock Honda rules will need to be revisited in all rr with the current wave of 2001 motors in SKUSA. Perhaps an offspring class for the 01 combination should be brought in. In IKF I had presented the idea of eliminating one of our nearly dead open 125 classes in favor of an 01 SKUSA rule only class to draw new sprint runners. Requiring the 99 does hurt entries at some point.

Stock moto runner thoughts, comments, opinions, ideas?

Randy Rothweiler
    Participant

Add Terre Rothweiler to the stock honda list. No way we would miss this.

Tyrone Johnson
    Participant
    1. Jimmy McNeil
    2. Randy Pierson
    3. Clark Gaynor Jr
    4. Joseph Hollinger
    5. Jeff DeMello
    6. Juan Jaramillo
    7. Kerry Matthews
    8. Todd Kageals
    9. Bill Pyles
    10. Mark Nagy
    11. Rodney Davies
    12. Jason Campbell
    13. Shawn Warner
    14. Rich Stokes
    15. Chris Hegar
    16. Ryan Hegar
    17. Rob Hegar
    18. Rob Miller
    19. Bill Cox
    20. Tyrone Johnson
    21. Stephen Lamana
    22. Nicholas McClure
    23. Sam Zavaglia?
    24. Mike Wayne?
    25. Ray Chiappe
    26. Beck Duggleby
    27. Philip Davis
    28. Jason Lorang
    29. Gino Giannopoulos
    30. John Paternostro

That’s the updated Stock Honda list. And Sam, do you happen to be Sam Bocchino? ;) We’re at 30 entries for Stock Honda alone (that ties the USKGP entry numbers at Miller) and we’re still an entire year away. I wouldn’t be surprised if we made it 70-80 by the time it is said and done… it’s like Road America shifter kart racing all over again, except right in my backyard! ;) I also expect we’ll see some guys from the sprint racing community come over to join as well… maybe some of the guys competing in Vegas? Also, I’m sure we’ll get more from the NCK. Is that you, Erik Maxfield and Ryen Miller? ;) It should be epic. :)

<hr />

<div class=”bbp-reply-signature”>Be nice to America. …or we’ll bring democracy to your country.</div>

Jordan Johnson and Dillon Johnson will be there with stock moto also.

Chris Hegar
    Participant

The question would now be… is the promoter comfortable with the amount of responses to go ahead and present the track with payment?

Linda Baldus
    Participant

I hate to be a spoil-sport but I feel it’s time we leveled w/ the promoters of this event.

@ this point don’t plan on the Baldus bunch.  Mike has stated he just does not feel something like this is good for the over-all sport of enduro karting.  It will only take away from Series’ racing.  It will suck the $$ from several regional races for one event just as Stars & Constructors’ Series did to local sprint racing.

And perhaps it will even tell the tracks that they can get by w/ charging more.

Just his opinion.

Jimmy McNeil
    Participant

I have 11 on my yes list for this event.

Ive also talked to promoters of other series, they’re  excited about this event and plan on doing what they can to back it. I was a little worried bringing it up to certain people, thinking they might see it as a threat to their series. Their response has been just the opposite, their excited and even showed interest in driving.

I think 70 to 100 stock Hondas is possible.

Once in a life time opportunity to drive COTA. Hell Ya, lets rally the troops and get behind this event. My check books ready, just waiting for the green light.

Ray Chiappe
    Participant

Linda, I respect your opinion, but next to a race at Indy, this is a once in a life time event. JMO and probably won’t come off again! With all the different orgs. in karting, this event will bring a lot of people together for the first time in a very long time.

Debbie Kuntze
    Participant

Ray is correct-it is a once in a lifetime-one time race. It does not effect anyone running a series or club for points.

And what I used to see with the 250′s for their big Laguna races was that it it UPPED participation at big Willow events the year prior for karts and drivers to get tuning in. I can definitely see this happening for the COTA event upping particitpation at other events leading up to next July. Especially for those who have had laydowns up against a wall somewhere or for those who might have thought they were done and now have to get back in (no Ray-I’m still done, besides I’ll be working :-) ) and for the general sprinter who would like to get a little long track drafting practice in before the event. These people have to go somewhere!

Cody Elliott
    Participant

What about the guys that have KZ engines? would we just be thrown in with the hondas?

John Kuntze
    Participant

Linda

Why is getting people back to a roadrace track or try it out for the first time a bad thing if some of them decide to continue racing it will only be a benefit everybody involved. The only thing that would be bad thing is if a series decides to schedule a race on top of this one. That would have to make the racer choose on running a F1 track that you only get 1 shot at or the others that have been run on before. This is the type of thinking that has always hurt karting in the past but it wouldn’t surprise one bit that someone will try it again. Come on people let the race happen and without having to whine about it.

Beck Duggleby
    Participant

Updated Stock Honda entry list as of July 27, 2013…

1. Jimmy McNeil
    2. Randy Pierson
    3. Clark Gaynor Jr
    4. Joseph Hollinger
    5. Jeff DeMello
    6. Juan Jaramillo
    7. Kerry Matthews
    8. Todd Kageals
    9. Bill Pyles
    10. Mark Nagy
    11. Rodney Davies
    12. Jason Campbell
    13. Shawn Warner
    14. Rich Stokes
    15. Chris Hegar
    16. Ryan Hegar
    17. Rob Hegar
    18. Rob Miller
    19. Bill Cox
    20. Tyrone Johnson
    21. Stephen Lamana
    22. Nicholas McClure
    23. Sam Zavaglia?
    24. Mike Wayne?
    25. Ray Chiappe
    26. Beck Duggleby
    27. Philip Davis
    28. Jason Lorang
    29. Gino Giannopoulos
    30. John Paternostro
    31. Jordan Johnson
    32. Dillon Johnson
    33. Terre Rothweiler

Jimmy – do you want to share who those eleven “yes” people are? ;)

Jimmy McNeil
    Participant

Hope these guys don’t mind me posting their names online.

Robert Marks – stock Honda

Darrell Tunnell – stock Honda

Luke Bianco – stock Honda

Peter Mastro – stock Honda

Clinton Schoombi – stock Honda

Roy Montgomery – stock Honda

Vivek Tandon – stock Honda

Ethan Wilson – tag or shifter

Jimmy McNeil – stock Honda, open class, possibly SuperKart?

I have a couple others but not comfortable posting their names.

Im also talking to a couple pretty big teams. Its hard to work aggressively to push this event when its yet to be carved in stone. Hopefully that will change soon.

Debbie Kuntze
    Participant

I’m pretending it’s carved in stone :-) already have the approved vacation time set up too!

Cody-I am confident you will have a place to run, just not sure where yet.

Glen
    Participant

I will bet that if there is a  1-Yamaha HVY pipe class, 2- a Yamaha can classes, a piston port, and a open class for laydown kart that there will be no less than 20 karts in each class. Our group brings 9 -Yamaha Hvy  entries to most all of the races we attend. Now sometimes work or life makes some of us have to pass on a race but the numbers of Laydown Road Race karts in Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas will make up the 20 karts. If any of the people outside of these states show up the numbers should be great.

Debbie, I as well have put this down as a carved in stone race. I hope a ton of laydown karts show up and as a group start to work together to bring back big classes for laydown racing!

As a group we don’t points race so our group picks races or track that we want to race at then plan them out as a group and bring the most we can to a race.

See ya at the track!!

Bruce Peck
    Participant

Glen:  Since posting this thread here (and in the old EKN forum) I’ve counted at least six that said they would come for the Yamaha Pipe class.

http://ekartingnews.com/forums/topic/circuit-of-the-americas-2014/#post-4682

If your group brought nine then we’re up to 15 which is a good start and should help get others interested in coming.

Brad Johnson
    Participant

I’m in for Stock Honda. I’ve always wanted to drive a laydown if anyone has an extra they might have around…

Beck Duggleby
    Participant

Glad to hear you’re coming, Brad! :) I think I’ve raced against you once in SWRA…

And as of July 29th, the Stock Honda entry list is…

1. Jimmy McNeil
    2. Randy Pierson
    3. Clark Gaynor Jr
    4. Joseph Hollinger
    5. Jeff DeMello
    6. Juan Jaramillo
    7. Kerry Matthews
    8. Todd Kageals
    9. Bill Pyles
    10. Mark Nagy
    11. Rodney Davies
    12. Jason Campbell
    13. Shawn Warner
    14. Rich Stokes
    15. Chris Hegar
    16. Ryan Hegar
    17. Rob Hegar
    18. Rob Miller
    19. Bill Cox
    20. Tyrone Johnson
    21. Stephen Lamana
    22. Nicholas McClure
    23. Sam Zavaglia?
    24. Mike Wayne?
    25. Ray Chiappe
    26. Beck Duggleby
    27. Philip Davis
    28. Jason Lorang
    29. Gino Giannopoulos
    30. John Paternostro
    31. Jordan Johnson
    32. Dillon Johnson
    33. Terre Rothweiler
    34. Brad Johnson
    35. Robert Marks
    36. Darrell Tunnell
    37. Clinton Schoombee
    38. Peter Mastro
    39. Luke Bianco
    40. Roy Montgomery
    41. Vivek Tandon

…in no particular order. That is an astonishing entry list already, and we’re still 11 months away!

It’s interesting (and refreshing) to see some of the sprint racers coming over to do some road racing. Darrell, Clinton, Peter, Luke, Roy, Vivek – welcome aboard! :D

ALSO: I have one question, or if Bernie/Chris are too busy, a suggestion. ;) The COTA track is very long and very wide. Despite that, if we are getting 50+ entries in just one class (and I’m sure we’ll reach at least 80 by the time July 2014 rolls around), qualifying will matter enormously. Imagine if you are starting from the very back of a 50 kart Stock Honda race and Chris Hegar is starting 1st. ;) If you have any chance of trying to catch one of the faster drivers, it ends there. My suggestion is this: for classes with, say 50+ entries, hold a 20 minute qualifying session to determine the starting order (sort of like sprint races).

Jimmy McNeil
    Participant

Maybe require transponders in the final practice.

Ray Chiappe
    Participant

How about a Stock Honda Masters class? It would help thin out the regular class?

Benn Herr
    Participant

Starting at the back of a big class like that, especially a sit-up CIK bodywork class, the draft is incredible! Being in the back is not a big deal. If you are able to run with the front runners, you can get there in a couple of laps.

Drive COTA

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 184 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.