Home Forums General Karting Discussion Cheapie Trailer for a TaG

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Rod Hawkins 5 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Chris Fender
    Participant

I’m about to make a purchase of a TaG kart for my 15  yo and me to run. I need to figure out how to transport it back and forth to the track.   I have been told that I will be able to put it in the back of my highlander if the wheels are removed but that sounds like a PITA especially after a long day at the track.

I also have read that the  cheapie  harbor freight trailers are  too narrow and require some customization,   I’m not into that project either.

my father in law is a picker and can probably find a usable landscape trailer.  How wide does it need to be to accommodate a TaG?

Peter Zambos
    Participant

Max width for a TAG is 55 1/8″, so, in a perfect world your trailer would have a rear door that would be at least a little wider than that.

You’re right about removing the wheels at the end of the day being a pain.  Our current trailer was purchased when we ran a different class, whose requirements meant that the overall width was narrower.  We can’t get the TAG in there without taking off the rears and the pods, and it really gets on my nerves.  Sadly, trailer budget = $0.00 at the moment.

Cheers,

P.

tony zambos
    Participant

Max rear axle width is 55.125 inches. Add a couple inches on both sides to allow clearence for the side pods.

LAD Specialties customer / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Juan David Gomez
    Participant

The HF trailer is great and no modification is required. The rear wheels just hang out a bit but it is fine. been using it for 3+ years folds and stores against a wall. and there is plenty of space for kart and Stand. get the 20% off coupon and it cost $240+tax

here are also some good ideas

http://eknclassic.com/viewtopic.php?t=82267&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

Chris Fender
    Participant

“The HF trailer is great and no modification is required. The rear wheels just hang out a bit but it is fine. been using it for 3+ years folds and stores against a wall. and there is plenty of space for kart and Stand. get the 20% off coupon and it cost $240+tax”

Juan that’s good news! Do you have to remove the side pods on the Kart for it to roll on the HF trailer? I’m totally cool with the rear wheels hanging over.

Now if I can just get someone to assemble the damn trailer for me. I’m sure I have the correct tools, I just don’t like killing a Saturday on projects like that.

I also have no clue about what I need to hitch it and wire it to my Highlander. I had a hitch installed on the Highlander already so I could hook up a bike rack but I’ve never actually towed anything behind it.

I also understand I need to register the trailer with DMV. Is that correct?

I know. I’m a mess.

Rod Hawkins
    Participant

I use a trailer just like the harbor freight, but a different brand.  It is black and I have plywood on top (didn’t paint it black, since it is waaaay too hot).  I fold it up when I am done on my own and store it on the side of my home (since I actually like the park my cars in the garage).

Tires hang over a tiny bit, but it is fine.  It only weighs like 250#, so you barely notice it is there.  I would like to somehow get a hitch mouted to my M3 (hidden) but it is supposed to be a pretty tricky install, so I steal my wifes Pilot for the day.

Charles Stuart
    Participant

Yes you will need to get it registered. Harbor Freight will give you the paperwork you’ll need. Here in Texas you get it registered at the tax assessor-collector office.

I’ve used the harbor freight trailer for a few months now, which include a ~1000 mile trip. No complaints at all. The rear track will hang off a little but as long as you have it strapped down tight, you shouldn’t have any problems. You could also build a wider platform if you don’t like it hang off the sides. I’m planning on doing that and maybe a second platform for another kart.

I did not enjoy putting it together (hot a$$ garage) and probably would have paid a little more for something pre-built. One issue I had was a poor ground for the brake lights. Even though I had continuity, one of the brake lights would not work. I had to sand off the paint at the back of the trailer where the brake light bracket meets the frame.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.