Home Forums General Karting Discussion Chassis tweaked

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jeff Salak 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Jim Maier
    Participant

Question about our MiniSwift Cadet.  On our first outting in a new Chassis my kid got caught up in a wreck that tweaked the chassis pretty bad.  30mm out from one spindle to another.  Got it bent back, balanced etc.  we just got back from the jax wka winter cup.  My kid could not hang with kids he normally hangs with. That track is all about the draft on the straight. When we straightened out his kart from the crash weeks earlier we did the vertical axis at the spindles, but I never measured them fromt and back. Well, I have now measured them every which way I can.  The chassis is about a quarter inch shorter from the spindles to the axle than his identical other brand new kart.  And on the bent kart there is a 3/16th” difference from one side to the other.

What lead me to go measuring the kart was the fact that he could hang just fine in the low grip wet track we had in one session.  But high grip dry is where he did not have the rpm’s on the straight as the others.  So, is a tweak like this good enough to rob a couple mph and few tenths?

Gary Lawson
    Participant

Not sure why the wheelbase would be shorter on both sides if they are the same kart. But yes, you likely be lacking speed with the wheelbase being different on each side. The kart will want to pull to the shorter side pretty hard toward the end of the straight and cause considerable drag. Any kart that is bent more than 5-10mm after a wreck should definitely be checked for squareness. 30mm must have been one heck of a hit. Good thinking to check that.

Jim Maier
    Participant

Hi Gary, he hit so hard he got ejected out of the kart.  It was ugly.  I think the chassis is shorter because both sides are bent.  One is just bent more than the other.  What do you think?

Gary Lawson
    Participant

That could be the case. Glad he’s ok. Surprised it didn’t bend the C from impact. Must have been nearly head on.

Jeff Salak
    Participant

If you’re looking for a shop to help you out call Jim Perry at CKT.
    Here is his link to his shop. http://cktracing.com/

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication