Home Forums Chassis & Handling Chassis changes for night racing

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Daniel White 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Daniel White
    Participant

Open practice starts in the morning, and I expect there will be several karts practicing throughout the day.

Regular practice starts at 4:00. Qualifying starts at 6:00. Heat races start at 8:00. There will be approximately 8 classes running.

High temp will be in the mid 80s. It will be humid.

Generally, what changes should I be considering as the rubber is being laid down and the temperatures start to fall (a bit)?

BTW, I’m in a Tonykart EVR with a Yamaha spec RLV pipe. I’m on used YLCs

TJ Koyen
    Participant

You’ll actually probably be losing grip as the night goes on, not gaining it. Especially if it’s a humid night, you’ll likely see a pretty slick track. The last night race I did was a few years ago but it was humid and there was so much condensation that the karts were actually covered in water every time we went up to the grid.

Same chassis changes you would do for any normal low grip situation. You’ll want to add grip. Wider front track, stiffer front bar, more caster, narrower rear track.

Craig Drabik
    Participant

I’ve found tires take longer to come in.  I usually add a half pound to a pound between dusk and night runs.

TJ Koyen
    Participant

Good point Craig.

Matt Dixon
    Participant

Take a hard look at adding a tooth after dark

Daniel White
    Participant

Thanks for all the comments, fellas.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.