Home Forums General Karting Discussion Change chassis?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Walt Gifford 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Bryan Williams

i need some advice and help deciding. I have a delimma on whether I should keep my top kart flash or sell it and buy an otk roller. My top kart flash is a 2011 and needs a few new things like bearings, brakes(master cylinder and maybe calipers) motor mount steering wheel and I would want to re powder coat it. Less than 800 worth of freshening up. Or do I sell it and buy a 2014 otk roller I’ve seen people selling in the 2500 dollar range. I like my top kart but are told and read how much better an otk handles.  Right now all my racing is at a local club level and it does really good on that track but this next year would might want to travel around a few times to other tracks or events. Is it worth it to spend more and get the otk.

Bryan Williams

Sorry forgot to mention we run a kt100 motor.

brian downing

No one can tell you how to spend your money, but I’d say stick with the old chassis and do the work to freshen it.

There’s a good chance your OTK Roller will need the same work too as any used kart needs maint, such as brakes, bearings, etc.

Powercoating is a waste of money as it won’t make the kart go any faster. If you can get it done cheaply then go ahead, why not, but any more than $100 is a waste of $.

Instead I’d spend the money on a coach and making sure your safety gear is up to date.

Peter Zambos

I would keep the Top Kart as long as the chassis is not too worn (flattened) on the bottom, bent, or sagging. Though it’s a few good years old, racing a lower HP class means that you haven’t put the thing through the wringer.
    When you make a change to your program, as you are, going from club to a little traveling, you want to keep things consistent. This is so you can utilize the experience you have on the current kart to the new tracks. Trust me, last year, we did most of the USPKS races for the first time on a new frame. This meant unknown kart, tires, and tracks. We even changed classes, so we really went in blind. As a result, we didn’t post better than 11 all year. So keep it simple when making changes.
    As to the change in chassis performance, at the top level of karting in the U.S., OTK doesn’t have the exclusivity on winning.
    So I’d keep the chassis for now, and put some aside for when it’s no longer working for you.
    Good luck.

Rob Kozakowski

If you were running Rotax on Mojo tires, OTK is literally hard to beat… but still beatable.

For other classes, pick a newish chassis of any make and color, and it seems you’ve got a shot… if you can drive and tune.

tony zambos

+1 on Peter’s comments. It seems that all your existing chassis needs is routine maintenance. Make sure your frame is reasonably staight. If you go traveling, it will be easier on a chassis you’re familiar with and the money you save could go towards extra spares and entry fees.

LAD Specialties / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Walt Gifford

Topkart is a sturdy frame, some of the newer frames get punched out in one season. Now I hear they are making super soft frames for really tight tracks that last 6 races. I’d hate to buy a used kart these days. If you’re running good with the Topkart, fix it up and stick with it. I had one for 10 years, just couldn’t kill it lol.

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication