Home Forums Chassis & Handling caster vs front track-width

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Clint Williams 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Clint Williams
    Participant

I have an elementary understanding of front-end adjustment, but wanted to seek knowledge from the handling gurus- is there a difference in increasing front track vs caster or a situation that would warrant adjusting one over the other?

Luis Carpi
    Participant

Hi Clint, I am relatively new to karting but I used this as my bible as to do kart set up and for the most part it helps me a great deal.
    <cite class=”_Rm”>www.<b>crg</b>-america.com/pdfs/<b>CRG</b>_Kart_Tuning_Manual.pdf

(See page 36)

</cite>

TJ Koyen
    Participant

Hey Clint,

They essentially do the same thing. I generally go for caster adjustments first because it’s a bigger swing. I use the front width to fine tune the feeling of the front end because you can adjust in small 5mm increments.

Both are going to alter the weight jacking of the kart and affect how the kart reacts to turn-in and then how long it keeps the inside rear wheel unloaded.

Wider front track = more weight jacking, stronger turn-in
    More caster = more weight jacking, stronger turn-in

Getting too wide on the front can make the kart slower to respond to steering input. I prefer to adjust caster at this point instead as I feel like it affects the steering reaction less.

My theory is that you always want to run as little caster/as narrow a front end as possible while still getting the kart to turn in properly and lift the inside rear wheel. The more geometry you introduce to the kart, the more scrub you will get in the front end and the worse the kart will roll off the corner. That being said, you will almost always need SOME caster to get the kart to rotate.

Team Driver - Innovative Performance/Tony Kart // Owner - Oktane Visual Custom Helmet Paint and Graphic Design

Clint Williams
    Participant

Luis- thank you for providing that resource.

TJ- thank you so much for chiming in, this is exactly what I was wondering. You’re awesome!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication