Home Forums Chassis & Handling Caster pill ????

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Mark Lockett 3 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Mark Lockett
    Participant

Do caster pills come in a left and right? I’ve been playing with a 06 07 emmick chassis and the pills are confusing me. The guy I got it from messed a few things up so I’m not even sure the pills it has are even the right ones. Anyone got any guidance on this?

TJ Koyen

They are not side-specific.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
    Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
    www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
    www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

Mark Lockett
    Participant

So am I wrong to think that they would be oriented more or less the same on each side in relation to the c bracket that the spindles mount too. Mine are roughly 90 degrees different from one side to to other to achieve the identical camber setting. It’s confusing me
    Ive tried to ignore that and just set the settings but I can’t. It bothers me.
    I need to understand lol

TJ Koyen

Well depending on what you’re trying to achieve as a camber setting, they could be 180˚ different from each other, or the same. If they are 90˚ different, something is bent somewhere.

Full negative camber would be both pills facing out. Full positive camber would be both pills pointing in. 0˚ camber and full caster would be both pointing forward. 0˚ camber and minimum caster would be both pills pointing backward.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
    Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
    www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
    www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

Mark Lockett
    Participant

That makes total sense. It doesn’t seem to be working out that way though I was afraid the B word would come up. I have them set now. I might undo it and run through a bunch of settings and see what I come up with. I may post a couple pics later. Thanks I knew something was weird with this thing

Ron Towles
    Participant

We have had karts in the past where there were different pills. The pills were numbered I, II, III, and IV, I believe. One had the numbers clockwise and the other pill was counterclockwise. To get the same caster and camber on each side, one of each was used. If you used the same pill on both sides, you could either have the same caster or the same camber, but not both. This was in the vicinity of 2006 on a shockwave cadet kart.

Mark Lockett
    Participant

I’ve seen them with an upper and lower also. More adjustability I guess. I’m feeling like if the frame was bent it would show up in other ways besides weird caster settings. Maybe a bent kingpin or spindle?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.