Home Forums 2-Cycle Racing Carbon Buildup Cleaning?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Harry Canoles 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Jeremy Ellison
    Participant

What’s the best way to clean carbon buildup off a 2 stroke when rebuilding?

I’m rebuilding my KT-100 and the buildup on the exhaust port came off with a little sea foam and some light brushing (synthetic bristles, not wire). The same did not work for the buildup on the head. I even soaked it overnight to no avail.

Tips appreciated. Thanks!

John Crider
    Participant

The easiest way is if You have a lathe or a big drill press is to get a head holding fixture that screws in the spark plug hole and the spin the head and clean it with scotch bright and carb spray. You clean it and give it a good polishing at the same time. If You don’t have a way to spin it then use carb spray and scotch bright. And wear eye protection, Carb spray burns if it gets in Your eyes.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

DO NOT spin a head in the drill press. There is a good chance it will come flying out. Those chucks are held in with a taper not good at taking side loads or vibrations of any kind.

You can scrape the carbon off with a small pen knife, just don’t dig in too hard or you’ll scratch the aluminum.

Gif

Jeremy Ellison
    Participant

Thanks Gif, you may have saved me from serious injury :). I see why people run synthetics now…

Brian Spek
    Participant

you can try spraying sea foam into the carb while running the engine. $5 at auto zone.

Harry Canoles
    Participant

I would try. Gunk carb cleaner, ( the old dip in the tank type ).

If that fails Glass beading.

Like some one else mentioned Seafoam or Mercury Marine has a spray into intake while

engine is running.  Follow Directions or else.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.