Home Forums General Karting Discussion Can MXC rims be powder coated/painted?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Sebastian Sarmiento 3 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Sebastian Sarmiento
    Participant

I have a used set of MXC rims, I heard that painting/powder coating them, besides improving the look, help the rims last longer. First of all, can they be Painted? or have to be powder coated?. If painted, what kind of paint would your use?

Thanks for your input!.

I wish you twice as much of whatever you wish for me. : )

Walt Gifford
    Participant

If they are pure magnesium (rare) I would paint them with klasskote two part epoxy paint. Mag alloy or anything else shoot it with a rattle can from walmart.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Sebastian Sarmiento
    Participant

Hi Walt,

Thanks for your help again, would you say the Tony kart MXC are pure magnesium? They are so expensive that I would think they are, but what do you think?

Walt Gifford
    Participant

I doubt it, they would be super light and cost twice as much. I had a set made by DAP kart you had to keep tires on them or they would float away.

If I remember, I knew a guy who powder coated some wheels and they became almost impossible to mount and bead tires on. If you do it, stop off the entire inside and outside rim of the wheel and also where the nuts seat down.

I’ve used the epoxy paint with good results. Surface prep is everything and use a mask made for organic vapors and try not to breath when you’re shooting it down wind while running backwards.

Enamel spray can from Walmart is $2 and looks good from 5′ away. Spray 3 very very light tack coats then build up enough coats to fill in the color. let it dry for a couple of weeks and it will be hard as nails.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Sebastian Sarmiento
    Participant

Thanks Walt, you are always of great help!.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication