Home Forums Road Racing C.E.S. 2014

This topic contains 38 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  James McMahon 4 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author

Kelly Read
    Participant

George

You ask where MARRS was on Saturday?  What event you talking about???? MARRS and CES haven’t had a joint event in several years.

Comments being made about “STAYING” is 100% correct. I don’t care what group you run with but if racers race on Saturday and not stay/enter at least on Sunday, NO WAY any promoter can survive!!!!

Morgan Schuler
    Participant

I’ll be at both Blackhawk’s in TaG Sr but I’m not going to Michigan.

I know MAM in SW Iowa was just sold but has anyone tried to schedule a race there in the past?

What about a joint race at Kansas Speedway? The Grand Am race actually produced great racing for a bullring road course.

Mike Hoff
    Participant

Hey George

And it has gotten harder to make any road racing the last few years as have a 2 and 4 year old who turns 5 in May and sure dad will be looking to put him in a kid kart.

We’ve also been going to some vintage races.  Really wild ride with vintage tires (don’t really turn), no side pods, no front or rear bumpers to speak of…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_PQBMGevvE

I do miss BlackHawk.  I retired the bodywork kart I had.  In tag usa rules isn’t the leopard allowed to be ported….we run stock leopard.

Dad on the other hand loves running his Yamaha CIK and his old kart (almost qualifies for vintage).  Doesn’t use the KPV anymore.

Mike

Jeff Metter
    Participant

Question …. I would love to come up and race with the CES when my schedule allows me to ..but.. Does Unlimited run a 30 minute race ???

tony zambos
    Participant

Jeff,

for several years now, we’ve run with 15 min for the 4 cycles, 25 min for sprinters, and 40 min for the laydowns. Hope you can make it up here.

Jeff Metter
    Participant

Shoot…I am not sure if i can get more than 30 minutes out of a tank of fuel on a 250cc superkart….Darn !!

Kelly Read
    Participant

Morgan,

MAM is just outside of Omaha Nebraska.   KART/MARRS use to race there and CES had an event there once but turnout was real weak for there event. I was told it was to far to travel for a lot of the CES racers. If those from MARRS wouldn’t have showed, it could have been real ugly for Davey.  Track was challenging and fun but some turns were getting REAL bad back then. By what I have been told by someone who lives right there is that the flood they had and normal wear and tear from the big cars, track needs some attention.

As for Kansas Speedway, It’s alot like Gateway’s layout.  I contacted them and the big issue is “DATE AVAILABILTY”. Between other types of racing (both oval & road course), teams renting the track, etc, nothing available for us through 2014.  Another issue was that they say a HANS device is mandatory. After explaining kart racing to them like for a laydown kart for an example, they understand and this could possibly be worked out “IF” a date did come open. Didn’t even talk $$ since no dates available at the time. I am in hopes that someday karts can race there as I have inside contacts  there that I hope can help.

Jeff,

Does CES Unlimited run 45 0r 30?? Dan Davis and a few others who run our 45 minute Unlimited class and have 250 gearboxes have enough fuel to make 45 minutes.  They may have a larger or additional tanks then you possibly??

Chad Landers
    Participant

I want to know why CES doesn’t honor the Rotax seals.  I’ve been asked in the past to break my seal by our tech guy Tim, I think that is his name.  I remember him saying how do I know it is legal or not.  Well the fact that is it sealed and stamped on the Passport shows it is legal.  I had to have Dave Larson come over and tell Tim that it was good and I wasn’t going to break the seal.  I don’t want to pay $200 or whatever it is to re-seal my Rotax.

I know Jeff had to break his seal at the last Blackhawk race. 

If CES follows Tag Usa rules they should honor the Rotax seal.  This is completely un-called for. 

I now run without a seal on my Rotax for this reason, but having to break the seal so the tech guy can tell you it is legal is complete B.S.  If our tech guy wants to break seals then he needs to be Rotax certified so he can re- seal the engine for free instead of passing the cost to the racer.

That is my rant for the day.  Please continue on as normal.

Chad Landers
    Participant

Is anyone planning on running a Briggs LO206 this year?

James McMahon
    Participant

I might bring mine to a race. We’ll see.

tony zambos
    Participant

Chad,

That was a one time deal when the seals were broken. It might have been better coordinated as we did have a certified Rotax engine builder at the track.

Chad Landers
    Participant

James,  let me know if you bring one to Blackhawk.  I’ve got one and I’d bring it if the class size was decent.

Tony,  Like I said before I’ve been asked a few times to break my seal when I had one.  Never had to after bringing Dave over and explaining to Tim there was no need.  I don’t care if you want to break the seal, just don’t make the owner foot the bill.  If one of the few rebuilders that are there will re-seal it at the track then fine.

I know Jeff wasn’t really happy about it and I remember Jim from CKT saying he didn’t have any seals with him at the track at that time.

Peter Zambos
    Participant

Chad, I believe that that event was the only time that seals were broken as a part of regular post race tech.  As you stated, both Dave Larsen and post-tech have been reasonable enough in the past that, unless they feel they have a strong enough reason, they leave the seals well enough alone, so if you bring your position to their attention on a case by case basis, they typically wave the more encompassing tech.  Listen, even though the seals are a good thing, as far as I’m concerned, I still think that breaking them for tech once in a blue moon is a good idea to make sure that each builder is still playing nice.

No one but the builder who built your FR125 in the first place should reseal it, apart from the tech that broke it down in the first place, as the resealer is vouching for the legality of every last little thing that is close off by the seal. Now Perry knows that he should have a few seals with him.  Of course, you could always have your Rotax built by L.A.D. and you would have no worries about that. :)  If you really think that CES is going to reimburse you for the cost of the seal in the economic climate in which they function, I believe you will be   disappointed.  SKUSA had their own issues on whether or not to honor the seals and there was incessant complaining.  As you may have noticed, SKUSA no longer runs the FR125.  Draw your own conclusions.

James McMahon
    Participant

If you’ve ever seen the pic of some of the cranks from “sealed” engines you’ll understand why sometimes they break the seal to check.
    I can understand the frustration though and it’s a cost to get it re-sealed too. Be sure to talk to Dave Larson about your concerns. I think CES has a different tech guy this year as well.

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.